B Arts (International Studies/B Laws (1 Viewer)

Ziff

HSC
N/A
So what can you tell me about this course. After going to the careers expo UTS is now on the list!

The International Studies looks interesting and useful, especially if I want to go to Europe after uni or join the diplomatic corps... Anyone have any experience with it?

Also, what's UTS law like reputation wise? What does it focus on mainly? ANU is big on international, public, environmental and commercial law and UOW is big on skills. What's UTS focus on?

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
Law at UTS is certainly good... it's a practical kinda course (i think?) coz PLT (Practical Legal Training) is included in the program, so you don't have to pay money to do it as a post-graduate thing.

If you combine it with International Studies, you will do law units first year and international studies in the second. Refer to:

www.law.uts.edu.au
www.utslss.com

Also, the cut-off will be about UAI 98ish this year i think.

Ziff

HSC
N/A
Yeah, UOW has Practical Legal Training tacked onto the end of the degree as well. Really I'm looking at what I can do that'll help me get international.

98.25 was the cut-off in 2004 for the UTS course. Not entirely impossible lol.

santaslayer

HSC
Originally posted by Frigid
Law at UTS is certainly good... it's a practical kinda course (i think?) coz PLT (Practical Legal Training) is included in the program, so you don't have to pay money to do it as a post-graduate thing.

If you combine it with International Studies, you will do law units first year and international studies in the second. Refer to:

www.law.uts.edu.au
www.utslss.com

Also, the cut-off will be about UAI 98ish this year i think.
PLT is not included in HECS, but you may ask for a postgraduate loan simialr to HECS, course is $6000, enrolment fee is $300 upfront. :)

Ziff

HSC
N/A
Do I look like a bureaucrat to you? :p

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Scat Asqy, go back to your UNSW forum.... stop scaring away potential UTS customers!!

Ziff

HSC
N/A
Yeah, I'm pretty sure ANU will win...

I've read too much about it now for me to not pick it as first preference. I've been reading through their law society's website and they seem to have a lot of support and stuff down there - the UOW law society site pales in comparison.

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
I have a friend at ANU and she really likes it, and law there has a far better reputation than UOW..... everyone I know who has done UOW law has ended up dropping it lol.

But UTS is good too.... depends where you want to live.

Ziff

HSC
N/A
I've heard UOW law has an appalling drop-out rate. Would explain why the UAI is so low - they say it's 91 but we all know it's really 88!

santaslayer

HSC
Originally posted by Ziff
I've heard UOW law has an appalling drop-out rate.
That is in fact true. UOW Law drop out rate is herendous. I had thirty or so students in my 2 hour Law seminar the first day. We only have 20 left. There are like seven Law seminars, most people I've talked to in other seminars say the same thing. I'm not sure if this is a UOW Law thing or LAW thing.
However, the drop out rate can be explained in all sincere, true honesty. The marking critera is STRICT! Something a HSC student would get 18-20/20 would be regarded as a mere pass. :(

On the good side, this justifies the 100% employment rate we, in UOW, have experienced the last couple of years. :p
It only houses the most elite pack of lawyers. :p

Last edited:

santaslayer

HSC
Originally posted by braindrainedAsh
Don't listen to santaslayer, he only speaks UOW propaganda.
That is fallacious. I have been known to be the most unbiased person to attend such a great tertiary institution like UOW. Just look at my sig. :p

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
UTS Lawyers are definitely gaining more prestige every year - just like their Accountants. In fact, I was speaking to a very powerful manager in Westpac and she told me that most of the graduates they take on are from UTS and Macquarie in accounting, and UTS or UNSW for Law. Apparently USyd grads know the theory back to front and upside down, but fall on their swords trying to apply it.

karnevil

HSC
lmao tyler, such a champ

and santaslayer you are such a UOW troll haha

santaslayer

HSC
Originally posted by Lexicographer
UTS Lawyers are definitely gaining more prestige every year - just like their Accountants. In fact, I was speaking to a very powerful manager in Westpac and she told me that most of the graduates they take on are from UTS and Macquarie in accounting, and UTS or UNSW for Law. Apparently USyd grads know the theory back to front and upside down, but fall on their swords trying to apply it.

Hmmmmmm......that's funny, I was told exactly the same thing about UTS being pretty popular with the big firms for the exact same reasons you stated. :)

UTS, the next big thing? :p

Tenax Propositi

there's just no oxygen
HSC
Originally posted by Asquithian
anu is = to unsw and usyd ...uts is not
What utter crap.

It all comes down to the quality of the graduate and their marks. uni reps possibly enter into it after law firms cull graduates based on their marks and their impression of their skills when it comes to uts, unsw and usyd graduates. This is what I was told by lawyers at the Sydney Law Careers Fair anyhow.

My goodness, it's scary how unsw and usyd students actually believe in their own propaganda :p

Last edited:

Tenax Propositi

there's just no oxygen
HSC
Originally posted by santaslayer
UTS, the next big thing? :p

I can't wait until usyd's reputation falls flat on its face. Granted, unsw has more esteem in my opinion that usyd.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)