• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

B computer science and technology (1 Viewer)

chikka1986

HSC
N/A
hi,
i was considering on doin this course next year as the uai-cut off is pretty low at 76.00. Considering the reputation sydney uni has for its IT...y is the uai cutoff so low...?
secondly, the math requirement on the website says 3 unit...but in the uac it says 2 unit or 3 unit "depending on the subjects chosen."...i am planning on doing information systems as my major..so can anyone please tell me what sort of maths is involved esp among the core subjects in the junior and senior years..i have only done 2 unit math at school..
please help

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
chikka1986 said:
hi,
i was considering on doin this course next year as the uai-cut off is pretty low at 76.00. Considering the reputation sydney uni has for its IT...y is the uai cutoff so low...?
secondly, the math requirement on the website says 3 unit...but in the uac it says 2 unit or 3 unit "depending on the subjects chosen."...i am planning on doing information systems as my major..so can anyone please tell me what sort of maths is involved esp among the core subjects in the junior and senior years..i have only done 2 unit math at school..
please help
Low cut-offs = low demand. It generally has nothing to do with the quality of its students.

The Math requirement usually depends on what Maths subjects you choose to take in first year (unless your degree makes you take Maths in later years). For any science degree first year maths is compulsory. I think there are three levels of Maths you can take depending on your background:
- Life Science Maths (for those who have no senior math background or only did General Maths)
- Normal Maths (for those who did 2-3 unit Maths in HSC)
- Advanced Maths (for those who did 4 unit Maths in HSC)

So I'm assuming that you would take the normal units. Basically everyone gets on the same level of knowledge in first year maths in that stream regardless of whether you did 2 or 3 unit Maths. So basically there isn't much discrimination. The only thing is that 3 unit students may have a slight advantage in terms of abilities and exposure to harder problems. Otherwise, it should be up to how well you cope with it in first year.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)