B economics electives (1 Viewer)

BackCountrySnow

HSC
If I do the B economics, will I be able to take Political economy electives?
I just borrowed 'Economics as a social science: readings in political economy' from the library and it seems really interesting.

funkshen

dvds didnt exist in 1991
HSC
N/A
BackCountrySnow said:
So why is it offered by the Arts faculty?
kinda strange...
ECOP got moved to the Arts faculty.

It's part of the inner faculty conflict... In one corner you have the neo-con fundamentalists of the assorted Econ&Bus disciplines, in the other, the neo-Marxist radicals of the Political Economy discipline.

In the end, the Economics faculty seems to have dealt a crushing blow to the legitimacy and strength of the Political Economy discipline by shunting it to the Arts faculty, as though it has no place in the Econ&Bus faculty.

That was stupid. Pretty much it's just politics.

BackCountrySnow

HSC
funkshen said:
It's part of the inner faculty conflict... In one corner you have the neo-con fundamentalists of the assorted Econ&Bus disciplines, in the other, the neo-Marxist radicals of the Political Economy discipline.
:uhoh:

spence

HSC
The requirements for the BEc say that you can do no more than 48 credit points outside the E&B faculty, which would mean you wouldn't be able to do an ECOP major, but the website shows a sample program with an ECOP major, so it's not really clear. Probably email the degree director to double check.
And there is a benefit to being moved to arts - the subjects are only like $600 or $700 each, whereas Economics faculty subjects cost over $1000

Last edited:

KarmaKitten

HSC
The sample is for those who began the BEc before 2008 isn't it? In my degree, ECOP is still part of the ECON faculty because they changed it after i enrolled in it.

But you should double check with an advisor. You don't wanna find out you've been doing the wrong subjects and wasting time ( and money!)

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
spence said:
And there is a benefit to being moved to arts - the subjects are only like $600 or $700 each, whereas Economics faculty subjects cost over $1000
ECOP subjects have always been in band 1. The student contribution bands are determined individually by uos, not by faculty.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
spence said:
The requirements for the BEc say that you can do no more than 48 credit points outside the E&B faculty, which would mean you wouldn't be able to do an ECOP major, but the website shows a sample program with an ECOP major, so it's not really clear. Probably email the degree director to double check.
An ECOP major is 48 CP.

spence

HSC
Oh right it is too. For some reason I was thinking it was more than that

drewgcn

postpantsism
HSC
BackCountrySnow said:
If I do the B economics, will I be able to take Political economy electives?
I just borrowed 'Economics as a social science: readings in political economy' from the library and it seems really interesting.
Even if you don't decide to major in it you should still do it in first year. Truly, they should be required units for ECON majors.

You'll end up annoyed at the ECON students who know nothing about applying textbook economics to the real world and the Political Economy students for not knowing anything about economics though. And of course, you'll wish all your courses were lectured by Frank Stilwell.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)