• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

B Pharm or B Sc(Adv)? (1 Viewer)

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Which is better? For someone with a great interest in science (and not necessarily strong abilities) and strong abilities in Mathematics (and not necessarily a great interest) if that helps....Take into account job prospects/careers, drop out rate, difficulty, workload, quality of lectures/tutorials etc..
Thanks...

SeDaTeD

HSC
Great interest in science? No-brainer. Do Adv Sci.

And you can use your strong maths abilities to get good marks.

Ask yourself if you see yourself working in pharmacy or whether you would prefer a broader range of options.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Geez, everyone's harassing me that BScAdv is a bad choice and waste of time and effort. They say that scientists have shit wages, there are very few job prospects in the first place and that it is very difficult. People are saying that Pharmacy has better pay, better job prospects and is easier than Science. Can anybody share any success stories from BScAdv and BPharm graduates out there? Should I combine BScAdv with BCommerce? Should I do BScAdv only? Should I do BPharm? Help me! :(

tennille

HSC
B Science (adv) is more flexible. There are many different fields you can work in with a science degree (research, uni lecturing, or both, etc), and the wages vary. Apparently, much of the staff from the school of chemistry earn over 100K a year. Also, I think the starting salary for B Science graduates is ~55K (I'm assuming a research career).

People who do B science (adv) are going to encourage you to do that course, and people doing B Pharm are going to encourage you to do that. It is up to you. Just be aware that B Pharm is very restricted and you have to be 100% sure you want to do that.

EDIT: And yes, if you do a Science degree, I highly recommend you do honours.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
So which would be best?:
- BSc Adv
- B Pharm
- BSc Adv/B Com

A

adamsaclown

be aware though if you're a science type person, you may hate commerce. but yeah to get into a research career with a BSc is difficult, so make sure you're passionate about what you're doing (being good at it would help do, but usually one soon follows the other)

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
A few questions:
- Apparently there are prerequisite HSC marks and certain criteria to satisfy in order to enrol in advanced units of study for BScAdv. That's a bit worrying. Anyone know what they are?
- If I were to enrol for BScAdv/BCom, do I just put BSc/BCom in my preferences and if I receive an offer for that, do I have to tell them on enrolment that I wish to take BScAdv/BCom?

A

adamsaclown

Trebla said:
A few questions:
- If I were to enrol for BScAdv/BCom, do I just put BSc/BCom in my preferences and if I receive an offer for that, do I have to tell them on enrolment that I wish to take BScAdv/BCom?
That's correct

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
What about the prerequisites and criteria for enroling in Advanced units?

zeek

HSC
it's not in the science faculty handbook but it is on their website...
from what i've seen for chemistry and physics advanced units, its a UAI >= 96.4 and at least a band 5.

sydneyphoenix

HSC
N/A
I am doing BSc (Adv.) at the moment, and you don't have to do any advanced units in the first year, at least 12 cp (2 subjects) in the 2nd year and at least 24 cp (4 subjects) from one discipline in the third year. As well as that you have to maintain credit average (65%) in 2nd and 3rd year or will get kicked out to "normal" BSc.
As for pre-requisite for individual advanced units, I can only answer for mathematics, chemistry, biology and Physics.
In Math, to do advanced subjects you need to have done Math Extention 2 or have got 90%+ from Extension I. There's higher requirement for SSP Units: on top of my head, I think it was 90% in Extension 2 and UAI of around 98.7+.
For Chemistry, you need to have Band 5 or 6 from HSC Chemistry, and again think you need Band 6 and UAI of 96.4+ for SSP.
Physics Advanced Units would require Band 6 in HSC Physics. No idea for SSP Units-I haven't done Physics at all this year.
As for Biology Advanced subjects you would probably need Band 6 in HSC Biology.
However if you get into normal science units in the first semester and get distinction, you usually can get into an advanced unit in the second semester.
Hope that helps.

priesty

formerly wm_abusef
HSC
Tennille said:
EDIT: And yes, if you do a Science degree, I highly recommend you do honours.
I see how Honours would look much better when applying for a job etc, would it also be better for me to do Honours if I wanted to do post gradaute Medicine or Dentistry?

And I read that u wanted to lecture in Uni etc (I'm also wanting to major in either Chem or BioChem) what sort of paths do I have to get to that stage? Do I need to do Honours and then pHD? Thanks!

tennille

HSC
I'm not too sure about your first question. *Looks at Nit* :p

I've read somewhere that you should do honours, and then a phD or Masters degree if you would like to lecture. I have to look into this one more, though. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)