B Sci - Psych: Please tell me your thoughts (1 Viewer)

P_Dilemma

Extraordinary Entertainer
HSC
Im doing an AppFin course, but now i'm thinking of transferring to a psych course; finance doesn't seem to fit my nature. I may change my mind, but in the meantime, i wanna know how you guys who've already done some of it think about the psych course.

-P_D

Skittled

What did the crab do?
HSC
Psych is awesome.

Bsc-psych is the same as ba-psych, but you need to so some of the 'hard' sciences (chem, physics, bio, etc), whereas in the BA you don't. Otherwise, they're identical, coursework wise. B-Psych requires you to do MORE psych than the BA/BSC. See the handbook.

You've got stats, so don't change to avoid the maths (though you're doing appfin, so maths probably isn't an issue). If you're interested in becoming a psychologist: you need to do hons/pg-dip, AND two years of supervision (or preferrably, as things may change in the near future, masters (2yrs coursework)/doctrate (3yrs research). PHd does not count). By law, you need any/all of the above conditions to call yourself a 'psychologist'. Hope that made sense.

Psych is pretty generalist if you don't become a professional (i.e. steps in paragraph 1). It's very finnicky about somethings (i.e. research methods, making logical conclusions, and referencing), and gives you some great skills (logic logic logic & research) tht other degrees (i.e. BBA, from my experience) don't go anywhere near. BUT, it's just a glorified arts degree, out in the real world, without those extra years of supervision/masters/doctorate.

It's the wrong degree to do if you're doing it for the money... though organisational psych and its variants are paid pretty well, I believe (not as well as appfin grads are though!).

Content is awesome, personally, but some people hate it. Compared to appfin/accg/other-numbers-mathsy-things it might be considered a little 'wishy-washy', or more qualitative and interpretation-based. You can't do psy units from the appfin degree, Unless you get special approval: talk to the psych department and get this, to try it out. Explain you're interested in changing over but don't want to until you've done at least one unit (i.e. psy 104 or 105, depending on your semester), and they'll probably give you the special approval (I've processed them in my paid roles at uni, so I know they give them out to people not in psych degrees.)

...any questions? :D

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
wow skittled you should honestly work for the psyche department ...

so yah delima skittld has covered everything ... and just for back up i loved psyche too much to drop it.. i was going to just get into a strraight bba degreee.... but i would have had to give up psyche and i couldn't do that.

And this may seem stereotypical..because well it is lol but i tend to find most people who do psyche more well spoken/expressive. than the majority of ur average BBA student.

Don't take my post as an example lol

skittled i've got a question ... how long does post grad take to do ???

org psyche is still on the horizon for me however so is HRM .. still a bit unsure of what to do.. also do you have a penultimate internship this summer? i didn't apply for any, i was mentally too tired to, after my trip to mexico to even think about applying for internships :s. Although i did make a half arsed application for a mining company in the engineering department lol... i didnt get it.. go figure lol

Last edited:

Skittled

What did the crab do?
HSC
clairegirl said:
wow skittled you should honestly work for the psyche department ...
...wanna tell them that? :) I've been told that a few times, to be honest.

clairegirl said:
And this may seem stereotypical..because well it is lol but i tend to find most people who do psyche more well spoken/expressive. than the majority of ur average BBA student.
Very true: you can get by with regurgitation in BBA, which doesn't require the same verbal standard as the logical (or at least, heavily supported and referenced) argument... IMO. I wonder what the difference in proportions of non-native-english-speaking students are. I'd imagine there'd be a large difference (more in BBA), which might explain the stereotypes.

clairegirl said:
skittled i've got a question ... how long does post grad take to do ???
1 year full time, 2 part time.

clairegirl said:
org psyche is still on the horizon for me however so is HRM .. still a bit unsure of what to do.. also do you have a penultimate internship this summer?
Org psych's still on the cards for me, too. The thing that swayed me toward psych (and away from HRM, besides the lecturers!) was the fact you're a recognised professional, after time (i.e. you've got this 'psychologist' title, which requires specific, recognised training. By comparison, "anyone" (within reason) can be a HRM person. There's value in the title, and there's nothing like scarcity to push up your wages! :D Besides that, HRM overall (not to talk down to 'HRM professionals' *bites tongue*) just doesn have the rigour and validity. It's disguisting that business (in my experience) is so lasseiz faire about this... If you're going to do something, do it right, damnit! :D)

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
yeahh too true...

i dont think i'll get into honours... accounting is screwing up my GPA and im just not into psyche as much as i used to be, but i may do post grad part time and work full-time in some stupid entry-level HR job :\

I know the entry-requirements are lower for post-grad.. you wouldn't by any chance know what they are do u?

when do u graduate steve? i still have one more year to go if i don't fail anything *touch wood*

This summer i plan on looking for a full-time job and having no life next year :) what about you?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)