Bachelor of Arts at Macquarie university (1 Viewer)

idc12

HSC
Hey Guys,

I just got an offer for BA at Macquarie university and I have already accepted it. I would like to know a bit about the major and elective I get to choose at the first year.

It would be very lovely if someone can give me some advice on what major and elective I should choose if my goal is to get into medicine school. However I don't want to pick all sciences major or elective as medicine school is competitive and hard to get into so my back up plan is to get a MBA if I don't get into medicine school.

So is there any major and elective in Bachelor of art that is good for medicine school and MBA at the same time? THANKSSS GUYSSS
I am like very dedicated so I will work hard no matter what

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Hi idc12,

I would suggest maybe picking a Bachelor of Science rather than Arts, because the Bachelor of Arts only has the following majors available:

Ancient History
Anthropology
Applied Ethics
Chinese Studies
Creative Writing
Criminology
Education
English
French and Francophone Studies
Gender Studies
Geography
German Studies
Indigenous Studies
International Relations
Japanese Studies
Media, Culture and Communications
Modern History
Music Studies
Performing Arts and Entertainment Industries
Philosophy
Politics
Psychological Science
Social Justice
Sociology
Spanish and Latin American Studies

which do not really relate to doing a MBA or medical school.
You may be better of doing a combined bachelor of commerce with bachelor of science to keep your options open.

If you do not make it into Medicine school, what other careers are you considering?
MBA's are typically worth doing later on in your career, not straight after undergraduate.

anon2017

HSC
So is there any major and elective in Bachelor of art that is good for medicine school and MBA at the same time?
It does not matter what your major is for the majority of medical schools. What matters if that you have a high GPA/WAM, a high GAMSAT, and then perform well in your interview if you get one. For some med schools (UND and UOW) they also consider a portfolio, so things like leadership, volunteering, work experience, international and rural experiences, etc. but the rest of the med schools don't look at this. Only a couple of med schools have subject prerequisites. So basically, for the majority of medical schools in Australia -- focus on a high GPA and high GAMSAT. Pick whatever major you are most interested in or think you will do best in. Then pick some electives in sciences, probs bio/chem/physics, as these will help a little for GAMSAT prep (giving you some basic background and skills). You do not need a specific science major though.

As far as MBA, I have no idea. Look at MBA programs you would be interested in and see entry requirements (maybe you need a specific GPA, or a specific major, or work experience after you graduate which you would only get with specific majors...).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)