Bachelor Of Science(Nutrition) Or anyone doing Science. (1 Viewer)

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
I'm thinking of transferring to Bachelor Of Science(Nutrition). I haven't seen many threads or feedbacks on this course. But anyway, can anyone provide any indication of the difficulty of this course? Let's say, I never did any sciences in the HSC and am pretty terrible with maths. Although, this can be made up by consistent study and hard work; I’m still not confident enough, that I’ll do well, which will probably result in me end up hating it after a few months and thus wasting time.

Mainly I just want more information on:
Molecular Biology and Genetics
Biochemistry
Chemistry
The Maths involved.

What they encompass, amount of work required, difficultly in the understanding of concepts etc.

Last edited:

uniform

!!!
HSC
Hey, I am a first year at sydney, who originally enrolled in BSc(Nutrition) (transferred to advanced science though, because I want more control over my degree in later years, but that's irrelevant). Anyway, Nutrition subjects themselves only start in second year, which means you have a whole year of general science subjects to get into the swing of things.

I didn't do any science for the HSC either, except maths, and it has not been difficult at all. If you're weak at maths, you can choose Life Sciences units opposed to the Regular or Advanced courses. The Fundamentals of Chemistry units are an easy introduction into Chemistry, and assumes you know nothing. Concepts in Biology unit is relatively basic to pick up also. Maths, chem and bio are compulsory for first year Nutrition.

Molecular Bio doesn't begin until second semester MBLG1001, and by then, you'll have enough science knowledge from first semester biology to not find it difficult; in first semester, you pretty much do a crash course on the HSC sciences, picking up the core concepts and skills (e.g. calculations) that you need. Biochemistry doesn't begin until second year, which builds upon ideas learnt in Molecular Bio in first year.

Simply put, given that you enjoy your subjects, you will have little difficulty understanding the concepts, even if you haven't done any science before. If you want to know what topics they cover specifically, go search it on the website. A science degree, no matter what stream, requires lots of work, but if you like what you're doing, this should be immaterial.

DrunkFly

HSC
First thing you need to know is that first year Science will be the worst year of your educational life. Most stuff is seriously boring - either basic, irrelevant, unduly longwinded etc. If you can get through first year you're set.

MBLG1001 is a great unit that will open up SO MANY units in later years. Especially if you didn't do much genetics in high school a lot of the stuff in this course will flesh out the rudimentary knowledge you have of basic gene expression. Highly recommended.

MBLG2X71 is the follow-up to MBLG1001. Where the first year course teaches you what the processes are, the second year course teaches you the control and is, in my opinion, far more exciting.

MBLG2X72 is run by the School of Biological Sciences and a long way removed from the previous two units. Expect more on classical genetics, genomics, applications of molecular technologies and population genetics. Overall, not bad, but be warned that if you liked the first two units, this won't be more of the same.

Biochemistry is sensational. Protein Chemistry (2X71) is a great introduction to enzyme kinetics and structure and Human Biochemistry (2X72) is probably the best course I've taken so far. I cannot recommend BCHM highly enough.

I have no real opinion on chemistry. I've done only the mandatory chemistry for my degree (first year Life Sciences Chem) which was great in places and awful in others. You just need to get through it if you don't enjoy it.

Maths is far more useful than you'd think. I wasn't a strong mathematician but still managed a distinction or two in the Life Sciences courses, which I'd recommend if you're not confident in your abilities. Stats in particular is invaluable for later years. I'd make an effort to properly understand what you're taught in that unit. Linear Algebra is also thoroughly interesting, especially if you get Hai Ho lecturing.

Hope this helps.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)