Basic Maths Skills Test (1 Viewer)

beefnoodle

HSC
How easy/hard is it?
I only did General Maths (Band 6) in high school and will attend bridging courses (Algebra 1+2 and Calculus).

The test is 30 questions in 1 hour, no repeat.

What is my chance of passing (get 70%+)?
How "basic" is it?

what is my chance of passing after going to the bridging courses?
im thinking of asking a friend to "help me do the test" so i dont have to do the "maths toolbox unit". is that considered cheating?

If i passed the Basic Maths Skills Test and avoided doing "Maths Toolbox", what is my chance of passing "Statistics for Business".

One of my friends done general maths and passed "Statistics for Business"

will there be any Calculus involved in Level 2-3 of Finance?

PLEASE, I NEED ADVICES URGENTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Im sweating because of this
have any of you done it?
pls tell me a much as you can about it.
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!!!!

sxcmathschick

HSC
its basic math for a reason. It would be considered cheating as it is meant to be a measure of how good you are at math. If you got a band 6, you shouldnt be too worried bout it. Its probably been introduced because too many people are doing the unit and failing because they are not good at math.

7th Sign

HSC
Statistics for Business is a bitch of a subject..especially if you did general maths its like 50% failure rate...

Another bad thing is you will probly get a tutor who sucks and cant speak english then you have mono tone Niel hoptkins lecturing you..

You have to work really hard its not a easy unit at all..

beefnoodle

HSC
Statistics for Business is a bitch of a subject..especially if you did general maths its like 50% failure rate...

Another bad thing is you will probly get a tutor who sucks and cant speak english then you have mono tone Niel hoptkins lecturing you..

You have to work really hard its not a easy unit at all..
i love statistics man!
im going to the bridging courses
i am willing to work 2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10 times as hard as the rest to catch up.
if you done it can you please tell me about the sort of maths involves in the unit
?
any calculus?

i have a friend who done General Maths, got 87 UAI and now a third year in Applied Finance at Macquarie Uni.
she said she worked twice as hard as others and got a Credit (70%+) in Intro to Statistics.

Last edited:

sxcmathschick

HSC
seriously....stats is like nutrl grain. You only get out what you put in. I did stats for science...Loved it! got an HD (just) and seriously, if ur so mathematically inclined, why dont you just do a math degree? why are you doing business? you will get a very in depth look at calculus by doing math science, but i am unsure of how much calculus you will get by doing business. but dont stress about stats, its good fun...In stats for science (which is basically the same as stats for business) the lecturers were good, and also the extra curricular workshops held thru the week (the SLU ones) were so much help! is was just passing at the beginning of the unit!

KaneOosty

VIP Member
HSC
PLEASE, I NEED ADVICES URGENTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Im sweating because of this
have any of you done it?
pls tell me a much as you can about it.
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!!!!
I'm just about to attempt it, I've been revising though I am still uncertain if I will pass or not... So I might be joining you in Maths Toolbox, lol.

Relax, don't stress over it... if you have to do Maths Toolbox, don't worry... it's just another hurdle to jump, plus it would probably help you pass Stats for Business.

monesh

HSC
i got 23/30, wasnt bad...but i can't pick a spot on my timetable for it, it doesnt come up anywhere on the uws timetable area.=\

KaneOosty

VIP Member
HSC
i got 23/30, wasnt bad...but i can't pick a spot on my timetable for it, it doesnt come up anywhere on the uws timetable area.=\
Welcome to UWS! My home campus is at C'Town but one of my units is only available at Parramatta... oh well, I can drive into Parramatta one day a week, doesn't matter... BUT because of a timetable clash (which would require a time machine to fix since it's asking me to go between C'Town and Parra in unrealistic time) I have to spend an additional day in Parramatta.

And.. get this... they are morning classes... HELLO TRAFFIC!

That's my vent for today :wave:

What topics do they touch on? Is it just the Fractions, Decimals, Percentages and Basic Algebra that they claim?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)