• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Being a waitor (2 Viewers)

Steven12

Lord Chubbington
HSC
Do you people reckon its hard to work as a waitor? like in a restaurant?

miss_b

still obsessed...
HSC
Steven12 said:
Do you people reckon its hard to work as a waitor? like in a restaurant?
It really depends on what type of restuarant you work at...

If you have no experince, it will be kind of hard at first but it's not difficult to get the hang of it with a little practice...:eek:

HSC
yes. it is hard work, especially when its not one of those crappy $5 meal restuarants.
its actually quite stressful at busy times, and to make things worse, restuarant managers arent exactly the friendliest people. esepcially my one :(

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
It depends on a variety of factors;

-Quality of service expected. It is fine dining, or a "family restaurant", or a bistro... they all demand different types of service.
-Kitchen staff- their personalities will play a big part in making your job tolerable or hellish.
-Restaurant manager- see above
-Your experience- when you start with all jobs it can be stressful, but when you start to figure things out more it might not be so bad
-The customers- depending on the establishment, you may have more pain in the ass customers than is reasonable.

Also, as a waiter you will have to deal with nearly every problem the customer has... if the kitchen screws up, you will have to be out there dealing with the stoppy customer first hand.

But it can be a pretty cruisey job, it really depends where you are working.

leetom

there's too many of them!
HSC
I enjoy being a waiter. Actually dressing up for casual work (black pants, white chemise and shiny shoes) is alot better than having to wear some dodgy Macdonalds or Subway uniform.

There's great camaraderie amongst my colleages, at the end of the night we all sit around talking, drinking and eating herb bread for about an hour.

The only downside though is dropping drinks. Everyone looks up and the whole place goes silent while you look up at the cieling and mouth curse words. That, and working in an up-market restaurant you have to hand out massive bills and you feel pretty bad making people fork out so much money.

Generally though, it's pretty good. I think waitresses get it tougher, they occasioanlly get the seedy guy asking stupid things whereas as a waiter all I have to deal with are older women eyeing me and congratulating the manager on what a lovely waiter I am, regardless of how shit my performance actually is. Just keep smiling, look good and impress and customers will love you.

instantGRAVY

HSC
N/A
being a waiter would most likely require being able to spell.... to bad buddy you fall short

Steven12

Lord Chubbington
HSC
i want to be a waiter, except i dont have any experience, and you cant get any experience without being one first.............. :(

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
instantGRAVY said:
being a waiter would most likely require being able to spell.... to bad buddy you fall short
* too

leetom

there's too many of them!
HSC
instantGRAVY said:
There are no spelling requirments.

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC
i dont reckon it would be the most difficult job ever..

yet it would involve a lot of physical work. ie constantly moving, taking orders, etc.

allstarr69

you may think you have the experience or think your capable even without the experience but the big question steve is, does your BOSS think your capable..........

Ive been trying to get a decent job for a while now with no luck. My last job was working in a car wash and I got so dreadfully sick of it so just quit. If anybody lives in the central coast with a job, Im now your BEST friend :D :d :D

clairebear

"oh go back to supre"
HSC
waitressing, although i personally don't see the difference between the status of a 'waiter' over a 'waitress', is one of the most dead set boring jobs on offer.
and there are PLENTY on offer.
i went from working at a juice bar to my first waitressing job at a swanky-type cafe and hmmm it was quite different.
going from a high energy job to one where the only thing to do when all customers are happy to carry on in their snobberish state is fold napkins and stuff, which (strangely enough) i did not find that stimulating, is enough to turn anyone off the idea of heading off to work for another day.
maybe if you are a waiter you don't have to do such meaningless tasks in between getting hit up by nasty old men.
BUT the good thing is you get tips. tips are swell. :cool:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)