Belonging: Related Text Suggestions (1 Viewer)

TrentsUnicorn

HSC
Re: films for belonging

I'm doing:

The Pursuit of Happyness (film)
Suits- Season 2 Episode 16 (Television series)
Wuthering Heights- Emily Bronte (novel)

HSC
My prescribed was Skrzynecki and I used Nino Cullotta's film They're A Weird Mob which you can find on YouTube. It's really good in exploring the themes of migration which links in with Skrzynecki's poetry. Another good thing about it is that not a lot of people know about it so you will definitely stand out amongst the crowd of people who do Happy Feet and Mao's Last Dancer.

ShadowLighte

HSC
would either CastAway or Pursuit of Happiness be a good relate text??/
Oh goodness, thank you for reminding me of this movie. I remember doing it for CAFS and now I can probably make use of it now oh wow thank you.

Reagan-Jane

HSC
What would be a good short story to use as a related text for The Simple Gift?
Would the shipping news be appropriate as a related text with The Simple Gift?

essayqueen

HSC
N/A
Sorry, 'The Shipping News' is a prescribed text for Extension 1 English so you can't use it :(

raaachelwinter

HSC
Okay so our essay question is "'not belonging can lead to a sense of acceptance' how is this explored?"
Swallow The Air by Tara June Winch is the core text
Eight-La Dispute (song) is my first related text
But I need a second... any ideas?

Wondersmash

HSC
The text I am studying is Strictly Ballroom. I have been really trying to find a great ORT for this that is unique.

Any ideas?

mistermunch

HSC
N/A
The Scarlet Letter is really good. So are a few of T.S Eliot's poems like Rhapsody on a Windy Night or the Lovesong of J Alfred Prufrock.

laura-jayne14

HSC
Uni Grad
Re: films for belonging

A GOOD SONG TO USE...
'Nobody's Home' by Avril Lavigne.
This song is more than just a pop song...and it's certainly no 'Sk8er Boi'

- The song tells the story of a girl who perhaps once belongs, but now doesn't (don't know where she belongs)
- Told from 3rd person perspective (I couldn't help her...I just watched her). Somebody DID know of her and her story, but they gave up on her; regretful tone. Sometimes it only take one person to help you or push you over the edge. Maybe if the narrator did help her...
- She didn't belong simply because she was 'different'; she wasn't bad, just different, and was consequently outcast (you've been rejected)
- BELONGING TO PLACE DOESN'T EXIST (she tried to go home but nobodys home -title-) She doesnt belong to a particular place in society. She's "broken inside" maybe a metaphor for a 'broken home'?
- CONSEQUENCES OF NOT BELONGING/REJECTION: Shes falling behind/losing her faith/all over the place/falling from grace - no sense of belong to place/people can have serious, negative impacts on individuals...
- Narrator asks girl to find the reasons why -- is there really a reason? should she really blame herself for not belonging? is society to blame; their expectations of what is 'normal'?
- She is an individual, with dreams and hopes, but because shes rejected, she cannot achieve those dreams -- doubts her self, ability, existence, self-worth

There's many more issues of belonging to be found here. Belonging is a personal thing -- we've all had times when we didn't belong for whatever reason; think of those experiences, use them. This is a very good song to use. It's modern, it's personal, and its not 'clear-cut'. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!
Oh, and I almost forgot, whenever you use a song, you really should discuss the musical elements (what/how many instruments are played at one time? happy or sad melody? does the music correspond to particular lyrics to emphasise meaning? how does the music end -- happy or sad?)
My teacher advised against using song lyrics...

FalseFallacy

HSC
N/A
The Scarlet Letter is really good. So are a few of T.S Eliot's poems like Rhapsody on a Windy Night or the Lovesong of J Alfred Prufrock.
Sorry, but I wouldn't recommend either Eliot nor the Scarlet Letter for belonging.
T.S Eliot is commonly studied within high schools already (I can confirm that both SBHS and NSG study the texts) and both Rhapsody and Lovesong will be prescribed texts in the new 2015 syllabus. Using a related text that everyone elses uses doesn't bide very well for the examiners, especially when we consider the sheer volume of notes and study guide for T.S Eliot online.

The Scarlet Letter is a great text to use if you're doing the Crucible and using one related text, but I'm hesitant to recommend it for other texts - the majority of the themes from it stem from contextual concerns, so it's a bit difficult to integrate within your essay. Furthermore, it's a pretty theme-heavy book, and it's going to be rather difficult to sufficiently address its ideas within say, a 300 word paragraph. Therefore, doing the Scarlet Letter means you can't do a second related text. As everyone should know, BoS CAN specify one or two related texts for belonging (In 2013 they specified ONLY one)...and since Belonging started they've never specified TWO so .... there's a few bets going on that this is gonna be the year.

Sorry if I came off as a bit rude or blunt mistermunch, this is just my personal opinion. :(

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
The Shipping News is a prescribed text on the English Extension One syllabus, in general, you should avoid choosing related texts that are on any list for the prescribed texts for any English course because it prevents you from showing your capability in choosing related texts that relates strongly in terms of conceptual ideas to The Simple Gift through your own independent understanding of the module.

Tyrone Turnbull

HSC
Hey guys,

Could someone link me a poem that fits with Romulus, My Father - please...
I want a poem because i think variety is good and i already have a novel and a film but i need one more by tomorrow!!!

Thanks.

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Hey guys,

Could someone link me a poem that fits with Romulus, My Father - please...
I want a poem because i think variety is good and i already have a novel and a film but i need one more by tomorrow!!!

Thanks.
Perhaps for future reference you should make a new thread to get a quicker response:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)