• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Best Programming Languages for Beginners in IT (2 Viewers)

daviddelex

HSC
Hello everyone!

I'm exploring the world of IT and considering which programming languages would be best to start with. Given the variety of languages available; I need advice on ; Which programming languages do you recommend for beginners, & why?:confused2:

Are there specific resources / courses that have helped you learn these languages effectively? I’m particularly interested in learning about data analytics tools like in engineering-studies and how programming can enhance my skills in that area.

How do these languages apply to different fields within IT; such as web development; data science; or software engineering?

I would love to hear your advice as I embark on this learning journey!

Thank you ! :)

rosshaden

HSC
Hello

For beginners, I recommend starting with:

Python: Easy to learn, great for data analytics (libraries like Pandas and NumPy). Resources: Coursera's "Python for Everybody".

JavaScript: Essential for web development; allows for interactive websites. Resources: FreeCodeCamp and MDN.

R: Perfect for statistical analysis in data science. Resources: Coursera's "R Programming".

SQL: Crucial for database management. Resources: W3Schools and SQLZoo.

Thank you !

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
For your use cases, definitely Python.

It's probably the most well rounded programming language (i.e. certain languages may be better for some use cases, but none better across the board) and very accessible for beginners. It's also probably the best language for data analysis and machine learning these days as there are a lot of libraries available and it's basically the industry standard for those fields.

It's not as good for web development as Javascript, as even though you can use something like Django to make websites you realistically also need to learn HTML+Javascript to do much on the front end side. If web development was your goal, JS would be my suggestion instead as it can be used on the backend and frontend there.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)