Best textbooks to buy? (1 Viewer)

Kittyrules

I'm your density
HSC
Hi guys!

Im starting year 11 next year and i wanted to get some textbooks now while year 12s and 11s are selling second hand so i dont have to pay so much later. I was wondering what the best book brands are or whether there are specific books that you recommend for my subjects:

Maths 2U & 3U
English Advanced and Extension
Software Design and Development
Physics
German Continuers

I think my school supplies Cambridge book for Maths and Samuel Davis book for SDD, so what others are good? Especially wondering about german!! Also what prices are the best to go for, what would be considered a bargain? And also should i bother getting 12 books as well this year, or only get the pre-lims?

Thanks!

Futuremedstudent

Ancient Orator
HSC
N/A
Hi guys!

Im starting year 11 next year and i wanted to get some textbooks now while year 12s and 11s are selling second hand so i dont have to pay so much later. I was wondering what the best book brands are or whether there are specific books that you recommend for my subjects:

Maths 2U & 3U
Physics
German Continuers

I think my school supplies Cambridge book for Maths and Samuel Davis book for SDD, so what others are good? Especially wondering about german!! Also what prices are the best to go for, what would be considered a bargain? And also should i bother getting 12 books as well this year, or only get the pre-lims?

Thanks!
German- for grammar schaum's is good
3U maths - past papers, Cambridge and Fitzpatrick

trapizi

╰(゜Д゜)╯
HSC
Hi guys!

Maths 2U & 3U Cambridge and Fitzpatrick
Physics
German Continuers

Thanks!

astroman

HSC
english u dont need book
SDD samuel davis
physics - jacaranda or physics in focus
math - cambridge

Kittyrules

I'm your density
HSC
english u dont need book
SDD samuel davis
physics - jacaranda or physics in focus
math - cambridge
thanks!
excel not that good then? i had Excel IPT and it missed out some stuff but in other parts it was very to the point.

astroman

HSC
Samuel Davis is great, it goes a bit too in depth but that not something too complain about

Kittyrules

I'm your density
HSC
Samuel Davis is great, it goes a bit too in depth but that not something too complain about
cool yeah the IPT sammy book is crazy detail.

i was thinking about getting excel for physics or SDD if they have it

HSC
Physics - you must have physics in focus. They cut the shit and its saves so much time to read. Physics In Focus > Jacaranda

3 unit maths - ANY TERRY LEE BOOK. He is the bomb.

Kittyrules

I'm your density
HSC
bump ~

thanks Quantam College!

any other suggestions guys?

Kittyrules

I'm your density
HSC
so the suggestions i got so far:

math 2&3u : cambridge & fitzpatrick, terry lee
physiscs: physics in focus> jacaranda
german: Shcaum's
SDD: Samuel davis
English: none necessary

is that seriously it? i thought i would need heaps more!

also would you suggest i buy some year 12 books as well as the prelim books, or buy them later?
thanks

astroman

HSC

also would you suggest i buy some year 12 books as well as the prelim books, or buy them later?
thanks
tbh u don't need any for year 11

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad

thanks
I'd buy your year 12 books later...

Bearman

HSC
I second the recommendations for Physics in Focus and Jacaranda, they're both solid. I would exercise caution with Excel, it sometimes has misleading or flat out incorrect information (particularly if you buy an older edition). It's probably not that much better than using notes as it lacks the depth of explanation that the other books provide but is still decent as a summary.

BombMacBomb

HSC
Uni Grad
Jacaranda is an atrocious textbook for physics. As Quantum College has mentioned, Physics in Focus is the textbook you should use. Jacaranda overloads you with information that is virtually useless and completely off the point, yet I don't think I can recall it completely covering the syllabus. If you really want to study things out of the syllabus, you should probably look into reading Physics for Scientists and Engineers, because you'd rather learn real physics than mundane details from Jacaranda.

Physics in Focus has virtually every bit of content you need and lays the information out by the syllabus.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)