Best way to get to/from Parra Campus? (1 Viewer)

donnytuco

tuco
HSC
I went to the Advisory sessions today by train, and got off at the Rydalmere station. A bit lengthy as I had to wait for trains to come, but 40 minutes from my home to UWS wasn't overly bad. However, the way home was goddamn terrible. Due to shittyrails cutbacks on trains in the afternoon, It took me 2hrs to get home as I had to change trains 4 times. Not fun.

I read somewhere that it's also possible to get to UWS by getting off at Parra station, and then catching a bus. How does that stack up cost-wise and time-wise?

Or maybe getting a car would be easier...

dilroy

HSC
1. Catch a train to Parra

2. Go to the Bus station which is right next to the station. Take either the 520, 521, 523, 524, 525 or L20 buses (these things come faster than a McDonalds drive thru order).

3. Bus goes to UWS and arrives, which it stops across the road infront of UWS. To return to Parra station, wait for a bus on bus stop opposite the road. Simple as 1 2 3.

Cost wise I paid $2.90 for a one way, I didn't have a consession card though, with one it may be in the $1ish range for a one way.

Last edited:

PnoidAndroid

HSC
do what dilroy said.

the bus ride is pretty quick, around 5-10 minutes.
theres 6 different buses to catch, so you wont be waiting long

Get a concession 10pass (3-5 sections), although you could try and get away with the (1-2 sections) for the bus, its cheaper

screw rydalmere, not worth the wait, not worth the switching, not worth the walk.

touma88

HSC
I heard if u don't have a car no matter what anyone says the quickest way to parra is by train.

klh

HSC
there are traveltens for Sydney Buses, which cost about 10-11 bucks for brown sections and it gives you 10 trips to take whenever, no expiration date, and it allows oyu ot get on tebus quicker, so no lines! you buy them at cityrail ticket stations, just say student [show your student card concession if you have it], brown travelten and voila. depending on your travels, thye can last you at least a week, as 10 travels, travels to and from the uni per day.

if you buy weekly tickets for trains, the yca nbe cheaper bt thats if you go 5 days or more, else just buy 1 ticket each day.

Khmerunited

HSC
klh said:
there are traveltens for Sydney Buses, which cost about 10-11 bucks for brown sections and it gives you 10 trips to take whenever, no expiration date, and it allows oyu ot get on tebus quicker, so no lines! you buy them at cityrail ticket stations, just say student [show your student card concession if you have it], brown travelten and voila. depending on your travels, thye can last you at least a week, as 10 travels, travels to and from the uni per day.

if you buy weekly tickets for trains, the yca nbe cheaper bt thats if you go 5 days or more, else just buy 1 ticket each day.
yeh i got that info from my fred as well...its sure is save time and $ :)

Here my cost just to travel to parra from livo.(return cost as well)

Return train: $2.50
Return bus @parra: $2.80 with concesssion (non-travelten)

Last edited:

fai69

HSC
Khmerunited said:

If i were you id go by car xD.Buses as you know are slow itself as they drop off and pick up passengers frequently and drive the long way while theyre at it.Considering the you live at liverpool id say 1 missed bus while cause you to be later than the actually gap you had to wait for the next bus.As for trains...slightly better alternative id say but geez we all know what cityrail is capable of.It just depends on how much you care about getting their fast and on time.Buses are rather slow and trains in sydney are not always on time which means you might miss the bus at parra to get to uni.If you decide bus you should also notice the service times when you go home because the service might hav already stopped.This normally happens when its near night time but in my first semester one of my subjects finished at 7pm and in my 2nd semester one finished at 8pm and im a daytime student -_-".So in terms of reliability and travel time car is the best,but at the cost of petrol consumption.So you might want to weigh everything up.If the cost of petrol is close to the cost of travel to bus/train then id say go by car because for that extra that petrol costs you have the convenience of getting their fast.But in my opinion first choice is car,train/then bus,and then bus.But i would rather take the bus instead of the train if it was an express service.

Jaron2005

HSC
The fastest way for me, is to stop at parramatta station and catch a bus from parramatta station to the campus.

Khmerunited

HSC
fai69 said:
If i were you id go by car xD.Buses as you know are slow itself as they drop off and pick up passengers frequently and drive the long way while theyre at it.Considering the you live at liverpool id say 1 missed bus while cause you to be later than the actually gap you had to wait for the next bus.As for trains...slightly better alternative id say but geez we all know what cityrail is capable of.It just depends on how much you care about getting their fast and on time.Buses are rather slow and trains in sydney are not always on time which means you might miss the bus at parra to get to uni.If you decide bus you should also notice the service times when you go home because the service might hav already stopped.This normally happens when its near night time but in my first semester one of my subjects finished at 7pm and in my 2nd semester one finished at 8pm and im a daytime student -_-".So in terms of reliability and travel time car is the best,but at the cost of petrol consumption.So you might want to weigh everything up.If the cost of petrol is close to the cost of travel to bus/train then id say go by car because for that extra that petrol costs you have the convenience of getting their fast.But in my opinion first choice is car,train/then bus,and then bus.But i would rather take the bus instead of the train if it was an express service.
:) thx for ur idea. but i'd only got my L like 3 months ago :rofl: :burn:

donnytuco

tuco
HSC
Khmerunited said:

$5.30 for one day.... getting to UNI is expensive :mad1:

RabbitRabbit

HSC
N/A
Cheer up, $5/day isn't that bad. If you drive, you'll still have to pay for parking fees and petrol.. which will probably total up the same price anyway. And its even worse for international students because they pay full adult fare, so they might be looking at $10/day..

4eyesnb

HSC
N/A
There is also alternative ways:

Catch train from Clyde to Rydalmere(about every 40 min or so), the uni is just next to the station.

Catch 545 from Para...stop near the uni and walk all about 8min or so.(not recommended unless you miss the right bus):rofl:

Khmerunited

HSC
RabbitRabbit said:
Cheer up, $5/day isn't that bad. If you drive, you'll still have to pay for parking fees and petrol.. which will probably total up the same price anyway. And its even worse for international students because they pay full adult fare, so they might be looking at $10/day..
:) ahha..wasnt me who complain..
ohhh forgot to add $1.60 to travel from home to livo station (return) :bomb:

placebo

HSC
The best way is train to Parra then Bus to Campus. The buses come every 15mins max and only take that time to get to the campus.

I caught the train once from rydalmere station - worst mistake ever. had to wait 40 minutes at clyde for a connecting west bound train. it's in the middle of nowhere!!

don't use rydalmere unless you HAVE to!!! my advice anyway!!

tubtub

HSC
also about the buses, where are the bus stops? the one i got off at was across the road from the uni. is that the only bus stop or is there more bus stops somewhere on campus etc? thanks

urban-angel

20 yo! =)
HSC
That's what I was planning to do for my advising session but asked a friend who use to go to parra campus and she advised me to go by train then catch a bus.

dilroy said:

2. Go to the Bus station which is right next to the station. Take either the 520, 521, 523, 524, 525 or L20 buses (these things come faster than a McDonalds drive thru order).

3. Bus goes to UWS and arrives, which it stops across the road infront of UWS. To return to Parra station, wait for a bus on bus stop opposite the road. Simple as 1 2 3.

Cost wise I paid $2.90 for a one way, I didn't have a consession card though, with one it may be in the $1ish range for a one way.
It's $1.40 with concession one way which is quite cheap compared to $2.90 one way each day =\

HSC
yeah...

i live in carlingford.. if only the connected the EPPING line and carlo line it wouldnt be a hassle.. but i like walk to carlo station and take the train .. 7 minutes..

BUT the trains coem every like HOUR> and the station lookss soo scary.. like its derserted!

Jaron2005

HSC
dilroy said:

and I assume you can the same number bus from Parra Campus to Parra station?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)