Biology vs History for a High ATAR? What I like vs what I’m good at. (1 Viewer)

Hiheyhello

HSC
Hi,
I’m in Year 10 and especially good at humanities and science, however I prefer humanities. Although science has been my best subject since year 7-10, and I’m better at it overall than history, I’m hesitant on choosing chem or physics for my HSC because I’m not great at maths. Therefore, I thought I might chose biology, but I have since realised that modern history scales better (and it is a subject I’m more interested in learning about). My problem is that im doing lots of essay based subjects already. What do you think will be of greater benefit for a high ATAR, choosing modern history, or biology?
These are the subjects I’m thinking of doing at the moment:
SOR 1
English Advanced
English Extension 1
Economics
Drama
Mathematics Standard 2
Either modern History of Biology.
If I chose history, will it be too much writing for me to manage, or will it assist me with Extension English?
How much lower does biology scale?
Which subject is a better bet if I want to get a 98+ ATATR?

thank you very much for your time.

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
I haven't personally done history but I doubt that the type of essay you write in history is going to really help you in extension English, since the topics are entirely different. Only thing that may transfer between different subjects where you write essays is like structure and improving overall vocabulary.

In terms of which one is better for 98+ ATAR, none. You can get a 98+ ATAR with either. The main thing is just understanding what thing you would do better in, because if you do lets say a high scaling subject and get 85 and then you do a slightly lower scaling subject and get 90+, the 90+ will be better probably.

So yeah going back to what I said before, choose the subject you believe you will perform the best in. Maybe biology is also something to consider if you want a break from essay writing subjects and also if you want to take some degree in uni where you might need to know biology as a base then that is also something to consider

MONONYMOUS

HSC
You should just do whatever you enjoy more (but still take into consideration the subjects that could be prerequisites for your degree). I'm doing Ancient History, currently in Year 12, and it's not really as heavy as people say. Don't worry too much about scaling, just do what you enjoy more because that is what you'll do better in, in the long run.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)