Biopolymers (1 Viewer)

Ozz^E

Assess the current development in the use of biopolymers.

This may well be a 6-7 mark question since there were no quetsion relating to it last yr. Heres my response:

Natural biopolymers such as starch and cellulose have a wide range of potential applications in markets currently dominated by petroleum-based products. These include biodegradable plastics, adhesives, cosmetics, textiles etc. In addition to opening up new markets, the use of grain products would provide positive environmental benefits by reducing the levels of pollution generated during the current manufacture and disposal of petroleum-based products. Biopolymers have the advantage of biodegradability and petroleum is also a limited resource. One approach to building biodegradability into synthetic polymers has been to blend biopolymers with the synthetics. More recently, the development of biopolymers that have similar properties to the synthetic polymers but which will retain biodegradability has been undertaken.

Despite their many advantages such as renewability, low cost, abundance, biodegradability and less pollution, natural polymers are only slowly being used up in the manufacture of consumer goods. Problems associated with their use include water sensitivity, manufacturing cost, lack of understanding of how natural polymers behave in industrial processing and how natural polymers interact with other ingredients, and the need for non-traditional processing equipment and processes. Much development is still needed: biopolymers that are being developed from biological sources still cost about ten times as much as polymers made from fossil fuels. The processes that are used to make biopolymers also have a fossil fuel input in the transport of materials, the manufacture of equipment and the chemicals used in processing.

Comments welcome...am i missing anything.

Dumbarse

sounds good, what about starting it by actually say what a biopolymer is , mention renewable resource, what it is replacing and why
u could do it a bit more structured like that in better points, its a bit too much like a story and all over the place
i suppose for a 6-7 mark question u have to blab on a bit though

note - these are my views, constructive critisicm, no harm meant, u dont have to agree :)

dude

i don't mean to piss u off but i don't think u should do cellulose as ur bio polymer.

here are the reasons why
- u don't really USE cellulose to make something. You use cellulose to turn it into glucose unit and then use glucose to make stuff. Since the topic is polymers u need to focus on the use of the polymers.
- You don't actually MAKE cellulose industrially. Its already made by plants !
- BOS can be really tight and say.. .Assess the current development in the use of biopolymers other than cellulose and starch.

you need to learn one of those PLA, PHB, Biopol etc etc.

spice girl

magic mirror
Ditto...

Say the question is worth 7 marks. Write 7-9 of the most important things that you think would fetch one of the marks. This includes definition, 2 advantages/disadvantages, "current development" - limitations of technology on the efficiency of the process, and need for future development...i think this is 7

saladsurgery

kicking the cack
HSC
i reckon that's a pretty tight answer... i mean if you wanted to you could write a fricken thesis on cellulose. i'd give it 6, maybe 7... but then i'm not a marker... :)

Ozz^E

The answer wasnt addressing the next part of the syllanus point where we have to choose a specific biopolymer and describe a process used to analyse it. Ive done PHB for that but the answer i posted was simply an assessment of the development in the use of biopolymers generally.

Thanx for the input though...any comment welcome.

:cool:

CHUDYMASTER

Master of Chudy 'n' Curry
HSC
Hmm, okay, regarding PHB, does this answer the dot point "Assess the current development in the use of biopolymers"?:

PHB (polyhydroxybutranoate) is a biopolymer originally produced by the microorganisms known as "Alcaligenes Eutrophus". In the past few years, scientists have successfully injected the DNA which causes the production of PHB into the bacteria "E. Coli". This has lead to a much more efficient production of PHB.

PHB is used in packaging material and is very environmentally sound as it, like most biopolymers, is completely biodegradable. On the other hand, its difficult production and research does not make it economically viable at the moment.

Please tell me if I can add anything. Thanks.

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Originally posted by CHUDYMASTER
Hmm, okay, regarding PHB, does this answer the dot point "Assess the current development in the use of biopolymers"?:

PHB (polyhydroxybutranoate) is a biopolymer originally produced by the microorganisms known as "Alcaligenes Eutrophus". In the past few years, scientists have successfully injected the DNA which causes the production of PHB into the bacteria "E. Coli". This has lead to a much more efficient production of PHB.

PHB is used in packaging material and is very environmentally sound as it, like most biopolymers, is completely biodegradable. On the other hand, its difficult production and research does not make it economically viable at the moment.

Please tell me if I can add anything. Thanks.
Yes, but I would talk about other biopolymers as well ...

CHUDYMASTER

HSC
We're only required to know one other besides cellulose. So you can't add anything?

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Originally posted by CHUDYMASTER
We're only required to know one other besides cellulose. So you can't add anything?
Well, if you wan't to learn the steps off by heart, you could add those. Otherwise it looks good.

Maybe you could also go into more detail about the enviromental impacts (ie: don't just say its biodegradable, explain why that is a good feature.)

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Yeah, I'm doing PHB..... when you say it's biodegradable you could also mention why this is good eg. it's good for use for plastic bags, disposible nappies, packaging etc.

-=«MÄLÅÇhïtÊ»=-

HSC
dats not really why its good
from memory i fink its good coz it was similar to polypropane. thus providing an alternate and biodegradable resource. not yet economical to make though.

Twintip

I was speaking to my Chem teacher today and he is an HSC marker. Last year there was a 5 mark Biopolymer question. Students were cut down to a maximum of 2/5 if they failed to mention the enzyme/bacteria that are used to produce a specific biopolymer. That was the marking criteria.

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Originally posted by Twintip
I was speaking to my Chem teacher today and he is an HSC marker. Last year there was a 5 mark Biopolymer question. Students were cut down to a maximum of 2/5 if they failed to mention the enzyme/bacteria that are used to produce a specific biopolymer. That was the marking criteria.
You mean in 2002? Glad I mentioned that then ...

timmii

sporadic attendee
I would structure the response like this (maybe, i can't really remember):

what is a biopolymer - example of structure, and of biopolymer
e.g cellulose
explain deficiencies in naturally-occuring biopolymers e.g insolubility of cellulose, and how it cannot be broken down to ethanol (can be decomposed to CO2 and H2O though)
describe developments of other biopolymers - PHB, vegemat etc and explain how they are being implemented, their advantages, disadvantages and further work to be done.

I can't believe I forgot all this, i had such a good response 3 months ago and now my mind is blank. Worst part is, i think this section was very quickly discarded :(

Last edited:

kini mini

HSC
I can't remember the details of my response, but I remember that it was a regurgitation of what Thickett said in Pathways with some changes to fit it to the question. I know I mentioned alicagenes eutrophus or some such name which I *think* was the bacteria involved :p. I also remember PHV-PHB (or was it the other way around? :p) and its uses..actually the whole thing is really fuzzy.

The fact that all of us who have finished the HSC can only remember structure like timmii and not content just a few months afterwards shows just how much memorisation HSC chem involved :rolleyes:

elizabethy

I'm the best !!
HSC
hey ozz^E
i don't mean 2 piss u off , but da ans which u have posted for the biopolymers is from success i hsc.... try 2 write ur own form different secondary sources..

CHUDYMASTER

HSC
Hmm, I don't think he cares anymore. This post is quite old, I'd imagine he's finished the HSC!

Ozz^E

Originally posted by elizabethy
hey ozz^E
i don't mean 2 piss u off , but da ans which u have posted for the biopolymers is from success i hsc.... try 2 write ur own form different secondary sources..
Loll...yea..umm as i recall it was from two sources (success one and the Science assos. trial for 2001), the questions of which were similar (one being word for word the one i put up). So... dun know about you but I dont think theres anything wrong with using such sources. Isnt that wat their there for?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)