Black Body Cavity (1 Viewer)

study-freak

Bored of
HSC
Jacaranda Physics 2 said:
Black bodies absorb all radiation that falls on them. That energy is spread throughout the object. The cavity walls within the black body also get hotter.
How and why do the walls get hotter when a black body reached its thermal equilibrium?

Also, how do atoms of a black body really absorb and emit radiation? I know that it works like a radio antenna, but what are the things that are oscillating? Nucleus or electrons or both or what?

Last edited:

k02033

HSC
Does the 1st q refer to the cavity with a hole apparatus that has properties of a blackbody?
if so, then let say we heat up the cavity and then the very few incident radiation that managed to pass through the hole, will very likely be absorbed by the walls of the cavity, causing its temperature to go up, then the cavity will make sure that its rate of emission of radiation excesses its rate of absorption of incident radiation ie to cool off. This continues till equilibrium..

Also, how do atoms of a black body really absorb and emit radiation? I know that it works like a radio antenna, but what are the things that are oscillating? Nucleus or electrons or both or what?
i know the answer is that electrons are responsible, when the incident radiation's electric field and magnetic fields across the electron, they exert forces on the electron, causes it to accelerate. And accelerated charges will emit EMR of their own.

However Protons in the nucleus contribute very little to this.... i am guessing is because they experience strong nuclear forces?

Last edited:

study-freak

Bored of
HSC
Does the 1st q refer to the cavity with a hole apparatus that has properties of a blackbody?
Yep, like a black body box with one small hole

i know the answer is that electrons are responsible, when the incident radiation's electric field and magnetic fields across the electron, they exert forces on the electron, causes it to accelerate. And accelerated charges will emit EMR of their own.

However Protons in the nucleus contribute very little to this.... i am guessing is because they experience strong nuclear forces?
Hmm.. So it's mainly the oscillation of elections but protons do contribute a minute amount?

Thanks anyway! You are the first one to either be able to answer or to be bothered to answer my question.:)

study-freak

Bored of
HSC
if so, then let say we heat up the cavity and then the very few incident radiation that managed to pass through the hole, will very likely be absorbed by the walls of the cavity, causing its temperature to go up, then the cavity will make sure that its rate of emission of radiation excesses its rate of absorption of incident radiation ie to cool off. This continues till equilibrium..
So after equilibrium has been reached, the temperature of the black body will not increase?
And does the fact that radiation absorption leads to higher temperature mean that black body produces IR radiation when atoms oscillate?

k02033

HSC
haha but that answer was a huge guess... but makes some sense to me, since strong nucleus force provides restoring force, stopping any oscillations. so yea... >.>

k02033

HSC
So after equilibrium has been reached, the temperature of the black body will not increase?
well lets just say, it reached equilibrium and then something caused it to change its temperature slightly (energy exchanges are always happening) the body will then alter its rate of emission and rate of absorption again in attempt to reach that equilibrium with its surroundings again.

in another words the blackbody is constantly doing whatever it takes to reach that equilibrium

k02033

HSC
And does the fact that radiation absorption leads to higher temperature mean that black body produces IR radiation when atoms oscillate?
The blackbody emission covers the entire EMR spectrum regardless of the its temperature.

study-freak

Bored of
HSC
Hmm I see.

Thanks for help!!

3. For oscaillators oscillating with high frequency the quantum states are far apart on the energy diagram(charge has to experience a huge energy change, and statistically, this happens rarely) hence changes in quantum states are less likely to occur to oscillators with high frequency, so high frenquency photon emitted are rare(explains low energy density observed. Visa versa for oscillators with lower frenquency.

The oscillators of the electromagnetic field could be excited only when they are supplied with an energy hν. When this value is large, which is the case with high frequency oscillators or low wavelength oscillators, such oscillators are not excited because the particles of the body are not able to supply that much energy. By restricting the energy to discrete values the contribution from the high frequency oscillators is restricted.
second one is from wikipedia. Your and wiki's explanations for near absence of higher frequency seems quite different. Is wiki's also correct?

Last edited:

study-freak

Bored of
HSC
maybe wrong terminology

I mean the shape of the intensity vs wavelength curve.
Very small wavelength - very low intensity

Whoops, the quote on above post was actually from wikiEducator, not wikipedia

Last edited:

k02033

HSC
maybe wrong terminology

I mean the shape of the intensity vs wavelength curve.
Very small wavelength - very low intensity
ok here is the thing.. right now i dont believe that y axis on the blackbody curve
is simply intensity (just think about the definition of intensity and you will see why). i think its something called the energy density and is dependent on a combination of intensity and probability, something like that. i dont understand too well either :(

Last edited:

study-freak

Bored of
HSC
Ah.. would that be why textbooks usually actually call it radiance, rather than intensity?

study-freak

Bored of
HSC
I think I get it now. Most of this black body stuff makes sense to me. (at least, that's what I think, although complex mathematics associated with this is just well beyond my brain's current capacity.)
Thanks

k02033

HSC
Oh and "Visa versa for oscillators with lower frenquency." meaning frequencies near the peak of the curve, not the lowest frequencies. that pharsing was confusing, i should fix that.

k02033

HSC
I think I get it now. Most of this black body stuff makes sense to me. (at least, that's what I think, although complex mathematics associated with this is just well beyond my brain's current capacity.
Thanks
exaclty how i feel too ha ha

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)