Book about suicide/depression (1 Viewer)

misbahf

You eat bugs.
HSC
If you know any could you please list them.

I have to do an assessment about how this is represented in different forms of media.

Books seem the easiest option.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
:) :)

alby

cool duckie
HSC
alone by myself - melanie woss
it's the diary of a girl (melanie) from WA who was depressed and eventually suicided.

maddy_d

Taper Jean Girl
HSC
there's one by Patricia McCormick called "Cut". i haven't read it but i remember seeing it on the teenage shelf at borders. it's about a girl who is sent to an instituation because her parents find out she cuts herself and why she does it etc.
you could always look at 'Looking for Alibrandi' as well with the whole John Barton episode. hope this helps :)

Tessa*55

HSC
- Looking for Alibrandi- John Barton
- Right where it hurts by David hill. Its fairly short, about this girl whose getting lots of pressure from her parents and she hurts herself o deal with it.
- The Bell Jar. This is the autobioraphy of Sylvia Plath, she ended up commiting sucide there might be some good insights into the mind of someone who is depressed
- And of course shakespeare: romeo and Juliet, antony and Cleopatra, julius ceasar etc
Hope this helps

Last edited:

Tessa*55

HSC
Yeah i was thinking maybe Jessica as well but theres not really suicide is there? Theres murder and war, i dunno, maybe i missed it? I spose that depression is in there but i think one of the main themes of the book is about overcoming adversity. Maybe im wrong

misbahf

You eat bugs.
HSC
Tessa*55 said:
- Looking for Alibrandi- John Barton
- And of course shakespeare: romeo and Juliet, antony and Cleopatra, julius ceasar etc
Hope this helps
Looking for Alibrandi and Shkaespeare were the first things that came to my head lol.

But my techer was Saying shakespeare is a very common text used by people for so many different things.

Looking for Alibrandi is apparently a rip off of Dead Poet's Society! Which both are apparently very cliche.

None the less, thank you so much for your suggestions, everyone. My mind is pooling with a million different angles that I could to approach this task!

Feel free to list anything more.
:)

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
Goethe's the sorrows of young werther

available for free.. shows all the signs of suicide... it has personality types that suicide :) and their thinking

Heliotrope

HSC
Here's a book about suicide AND depression. :D "Paint It Black", by Janet Fitch. She's the author of White Oleander.

Logain

aka Will, Skis, Willskis
HSC
There was a book I read in high school called Shoovy Jed. Google it maybe...

R3volver

Replicant
HSC
Read (and also watch the film adaptation) Requiem for a Dream by Hubert Selby Jr.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)