books for maths subjects (1 Viewer)

jawed_r

For both MATH1901 and MATH1902 you need to get the printed lecture notes from Kopystop which is down near broadway shopping centre. These contain the material for the courses as well as copies weekly tutorials, and are pretty cheap.

Unfortunately last year there were no seperate notes for MATH1901 students, you had to use the notes from the normal level course (MATH1001) which don't cover all of the advanced level topics. Hopefully they will have fixed that this year.

For MATH1901 theres also a recommended textbook, called Calculus, by James Stewart. Its pretty good, covers pretty much everything, but its also pretty big and expensive ($100+ new, less 2nd hand.) If you're planning to do Calculus in higher years its IMO definitely worth the investment. If you are only going to do it in first year the value for money is more questionable. The decision is up to you - the textbook is helpful but not essential, the course isnt based around it.

Theres no textbook aside from the lecture notes for MATH1902.

Good luck :)

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by jawed_r
Hopefully they will have fixed that this year.
no they hafn't!!! ='(

i brought the lecture notes for 1901 n 1902... they said tis recommended to get 1001 cuz there r no separate thingie... >.< '

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by xiao1985
no they hafn't!!! ='(

i brought the lecture notes for 1901 n 1902... they said tis recommended to get 1001 cuz there r no separate thingie... >.< '
haha, it just means that we gotta b sharp in taking notes ei? ;)
or we might as well buy the textbook. :D

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by jawed_r
...For MATH1901 theres also a recommended textbook, called Calculus, by James Stewart. Its pretty good, covers pretty much everything, but its also pretty big and expensive ($100+ new, less 2nd hand.) If you're planning to do Calculus in higher years its IMO definitely worth the investment. If you are only going to do it in first year the value for money is more questionable. The decision is up to you - the textbook is helpful but not essential, the course isnt based around it....
so did u get the textbook itself- and was it very helpful for u, such that u could not have survived without it?? :D

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
lolz!!! omg!!! u buy em from coop!!! =( i buy second hand if possible...

BlackJack

Vertigo!
HSC
but hey... it's Calculus, James Stewart, 4th ed. The last one should be the one, but I am not aware of all this single-variable and multi-variable nonsense written on the cover, which my one doesn't have.

Yeah, and as you figured, don't listen to the co-op website.

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by BlackJack
but hey... it's Calculus, James Stewart, 4th ed. The last one should be the one, but I am not aware of all this single-variable and multi-variable nonsense written on the cover. But, I'd rather you march in and make sure it's the right book.

Yeah, and as you figured, don't listen to the co-op website.
hmmm....so in that case, i betta go ova to the maths department, and get the exact details of the book (including the ISBN) then. :D

damn u co-op!! :chainsaw:

BlackJack

Vertigo!
HSC
ISBN?
0-534-35949-3

My book is brown, big integration symbol on the right-hand side of front cover.

Calculus
Fourth Edition
James Stewart

written to the left.

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
well, i just read the junior maths handbook and it mentions the following:
"James Stewart. Calculus. Brooks/Cole Publishing Company, 5th edition, 2003."

so yeh, i guess u have the old "4th edition". :p

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
uhm... black jak!!! u got a copy?? lolz, u erm... wanna sell it??? =p blehz

man i am so desperate... i withdrawn bio n took up adv phys... >.< ' pffftt... only to realize that ALL 3 phys lecture clash wif my adv chem lecture!!!

so not happie!!! >.< '

KeypadSDM

B4nn3d
HSC

man i am so desperate... i withdrawn bio n took up adv phys... >.< ' pffftt... only to realize that ALL 3 phys lecture clash wif my adv chem lecture!!!

so not happie!!! >.< '
They're on at 2pm every day man. Rock up to them.

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by KeypadSDM
They're on at 2pm every day man. Rock up to them.
hehe, thats a good idea, and just sign up to the tutorials, and all shall b fine. ;)

so not happie!!! >.< '
LoL, thats good that u ditched adv. bio bfore it was too late. :lol:

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by freaking_out
LoL, thats good that u ditched adv. bio bfore it was too late. :lol:
uhm :$... i didn't DITCH it, just that i didn't feel too comfortable wif it... oh yea, the lecture was SOOOOOOOOO damn borin, i fell asleep in both lectures i attended... prolly partially cuz both r in the afternoon, n both in wallace theatre (freggin hot), n both r like hafin 600 pplz in the theatre (freggin too much co2!!!) >.< '

wellz any wayz... btw freakin out... i saw u in phys lecture!!! at slate 2day!!! =) but U didnt' c me!!!

BlackJack

Vertigo!
HSC

so not happie!!! >.< '
Impossible. They can't clash. A lot of people did both adv chem and adv physics last year.

btw, the calc book is useful for more than 1 year. :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)