BOS Wiki? (1 Viewer)

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Sorry if there's already a thread, I only just got that newsletter and wanted to comment on the BOS wiki that was talked about at the end:

HSC WIKI - You might already be familiar with famous wikis such as Wikipedia. We're bringing this concept to BOS and the HSC. Next year will see the launch of the first community-driven online encyclopaedia for the HSC: the HSC Wiki. If you thought being able to download an essay or a few pages of notes was good, wait until the wiki gets into full swing. You'll have all the answers, written intentionally for your syllabus, as agreed upon by students and teachers from around the state. HSC students of 2006 are in for a real treat.
This sounds like a brilliant idea, everyone adding to it in a simply, easy-to-use format, should see huge content growth. Any news on when this begins?

bubz :D

the last laugh
HSC
the admins and mods have been working hard on it, expect to see it soon ;)

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
the numerous stickied threads scattered across the forums make good material to start with :)

gman03

HSC
Start to think about how large each page <strike>could</strike> should be... i mean it would be naive to put the entire Physics syllabus on one page.

I suggest few people who *knows* how to type notes should be incharge of a periodic update to "combine" notes for offline reading/printing. It might not be a good idea if everyone starts editing the pdf like twice a day... hm...

When will Uni Wiki be available?

Last edited:

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
I do believe there should be a wiki for university subjects, while it's hard to cover every single subject I do believe we have enough uni students on this forum now to compile some decent information.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
If HSCWiki turns out to be successful, that may become a possibility. :)

malkin86

HSC
politik said:
This is better than our current resources section, most importantly because of the fact that anyone can edit submitted works.
Not to mention that it should be quicker. :)

I assume that all forum adminly-moderatorial-types (benefactors also?) will be given admin status? I think a lot of admins would be needed to organise the notes in an orderly fashion - a lot of Wikibooks, which is a similar idea to this, seem to suffer from a lack of admins to put the pages in the right orders, etc.

A lot of the technicalities (how many dps to a page, etc.) should become apparent as the HSCwiki evolves.

treelovinhippie

<this space for rent>
HSC
I've had this idea for years (2 in fact)... the boredOS admins can't even think up their own ideas and had to steal it from the "What would you like to see on BOS 2006?" thread.

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
treelovinhippie said:
I've had this idea for years (2 in fact)... the boredOS admins can't even think up their own ideas and had to steal it from the "What would you like to see on BOS 2006?" thread.
Isn't that the point of the thread? :confused:

flipsyde

Shutup!...that's why
HSC
Im making a wiki with one of my ex-teachers from highschool

http://itmultimedia.pbwiki.com/

Its still all rough right now but yeah check it. He pretty much built the thing and Iv' started sticking some of the content in but yeah chek it

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
Just a few questions. :)

- Will anyone be allowed to edit a section in the wiki, or will only registered members be allowed to edit?
- Will the Wiki be integrated into the BoS forums, as SAM is, or will it require users to create new accounts?

I_F

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
I'm not sure how much information I can divulge, but I'll risk the wrath of the powers-that-be..

Registered Bored of Studies members will be allowed to edit the wiki, and yes, it's integrated into the current user database so you won't have to register if you're already a member of the community. :)

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
anti said:
I'm not sure how much information I can divulge, but I'll risk the wrath of the powers-that-be..

Registered Bored of Studies members will be allowed to edit the wiki, and yes, it's integrated into the current user database so you won't have to register if you're already a member of the community. :)
Thanks, anti. That'll be sweet. :)

I_F

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
anti said:

A great idea the wiki, Its a natural way to sort and gather the information we seek

Benefactors get a sneak peak? :rolleyes: I'm sure we'll also love to help get it off the ground :D

treelovinhippie

<this space for rent>
HSC
jm1234567890 said:
Isn't that the point of the thread? :confused:
Yeah, I'm just saying that this site has been running for 5 years and wiki's have been around for ages. So I wonder why this site is still in the dark ages?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)