Brendan Nelson Has A Go At The Education System (Again)..... (1 Viewer)

A l

HSC
N/A
From here:
http://dsl.optusnet.com.au/news/story/abc/20050924/16/domestic/1467691.inp

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nelson's priorities back to front: union
2:32 PM September 24
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Australian Education Union says a Federal Government decision to conduct a comparative analysis of year 12 assessments in the states and territories shows poor judgement.

Education Minister Brendan Nelson says a nationwide perspective on the rigour of exams will provide a meaningful comparison of education standards around the nation.

But the president of the Australian Education Union, Pat Byrne, says Dr Nelson's priorities are wrong.

"He's focussing on measuring outcomes instead of putting into the system and working with the states and territories to find out what it is and how best we can improve literacy outcomes across the board," Ms Byrne said.

Ms Byrne says the focus should be on funding.

"Changing the way that you measure literacy outcomes or any other outcomes is not necessarily going to change the outcome itself," she said.

"Brendan Nelson should focus more on providing the resources that will help literacy and numeracy improvement rather than simply talking about how we're going to measure it."

'Fundamental defects'

Dr Nelson says the study of year 12 tests will examine the content, curriculum and standards across a range of subjects.

He says there are significant differences between curriculums.

"Students that do very well in Queensland mathematics are struggling in universities in New South Wales mathematics," he said.

"I am also deeply concerned that too many of our children are leaving the education system with fundamental defects in terms of their ability to read, write, count and communicate."

Dr Nelson hopes to have a national year 12 exam available by the end of next year but says until that exam is introduced, an analysis is needed to compare the states.

"It's time that we had a much clearer idea of what is actually happening in our schools, the standards that are being applied and also how are kids are being assessed before they come out of the school system in year 12," he said.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Source: ABC

Post your comments here.

P

pLuvia

is they make that nation wide year 12 test, its basically like the SC or HSC because it should allow everyone to be able to do it, but since different states learn slighty different things this is going to be wierd

A l

HSC
N/A
I just saw this issue broadcasted on seven news and national nine news just then.

A l

HSC
N/A
http://www.smh.com.au/news/national...um-and-classics/2005/09/23/1126982233610.html
Here's the Sydney Morning Herald's article of the issue:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Education ministers clash over curriculum and classics
By Justin Norrie Education Reporter
September 24, 2005
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A fight is brewing between the NSW Education Minister, Carmel Tebbutt, and her federal counterpart over plans to conduct a national survey of the quality of year 12 assessments.

The federal Education Minister, Brendan Nelson, yesterday announced the study would compare content, curriculum and standards in English, literature, mathematics, physics and chemistry in all school sectors. Its findings would help explain what Dr Nelson claims is a national drop in education standards, he said.

"It is clear that standards vary from state to state. It is also clear that curriculum has been altered, in some cases to the detriment of content and standards," Dr Nelson said. "Moves away from classical literature to emphasise contemporary texts is causing concern to many parents."

But Ms Tebbutt said the State Government had just completed the biggest reforms to the HSC in four decades. Dr Geoff Masters, from the Australian Council of Educational Research, had assessed the reforms and found they were "in line with international best practice and enjoyed widespread public support", she said. NSW had countries "approaching us to see how we do things".

The study is the latest in a series of Federal Government incursions into schools, which are traditionally overseen run by the states. Dr Nelson has already commissioned the development of an Australian certificate of education, a nationally consistent assessment of student skills and knowledge.

The Opposition's education spokeswoman, Jenny Macklin, said Dr Nelson had failed to consult the states on his initiative.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

fleepbasding

HSC TUTOR
HSC
I actually find Brendan Nelson to be a bit of an arse-hole, on tele and stuff. He is very arrogant and dismissive of the reasons why the state systems are different. I'm not arguing against a national system as such, I just think he goes about it in a bad way.

HSC
I actually like the idea of a nationwide exam, they actually consider NSW to be of high standards, if we had all our subjects through the entire nation think about the advantages;
- entire country worth of students/teachers to discuss the subject and HSC
- open subjects to more authors / publishers, hence more books available for each subject
- the federal government can mass buy books from publishers in subjects and distribute through the entire state, thus save money by reducing per unit price of books
- more competition
- have competitions such as "the best state"
- nationwide comparison of school results at the end, which is good for discussing as well as getting into uni's
- uni's all around australia have a standard they can expect rather than differences between states
- students tend to have a more upto date (assuming they make a decent syllabus) knowledgebase

but i can imagine the can of worms it will open implementing it such as retraining teachers, getting states to change, no doubt there are plenty of conservatists

P

pLuvia

fleepbasding said:
I actually find Brendan Nelson to be a bit of an arse-hole, on tele and stuff. He is very arrogant and dismissive of the reasons why the state systems are different. I'm not arguing against a national system as such, I just think he goes about it in a bad way.
i've never seen him to tele but i've seen him in real life when he came to my school for some stupid flag ceremony, which we've had that flag pole for like nearly a year before the ceremony :p
lol, and my english tutor hates his guts ahhaa

fleepbasding

HSC TUTOR
HSC
kadlil said:
i've never seen him to tele but i've seen him in real life when he came to my school for some stupid flag ceremony, which we've had that flag pole for like nearly a year before the ceremony :p
lol, and my english tutor hates his guts ahhaa
ha, I've seen him in real life too, when I attended the national constitutional convention. He is a pretty typical politician in my opinion. Although he claims that he just wants to make sure that the standards are the same nation-wide, it seems to have an underlying motive of reverting the trend towards postmodernism in some syllabi, in so far as removing the pop-culture texts.

illodous

Angels...
HSC
fleepbasding said:
ha, I've seen him in real life too, when I attended the national constitutional convention. He is a pretty typical politician in my opinion. Although he claims that he just wants to make sure that the standards are the same nation-wide, it seems to have an underlying motive of reverting the trend towards postmodernism in some syllabi, in so far as removing the pop-culture texts.
I agree - but then again, how post-modern are our courses already? Let's look at English Advanced and Extension 1 Bladerunner, Brave New World, The Skull beneath The Skin, Frontline, The Real Inspector Hound...
These damn texts are postmodern to the bone - are we increasing literacy skills or being brainwashed with a pointless and nihlistic philosphy?

I don't really like the idea of a nationwide testing regime - a nation of zombies, more like it, all who have to spurt the same dribble in exams. Not to mention ranking - does that mean we can put our preferences in for a university in a different state?

Correct me if I'm wrong...

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
this idea will be slightly troubling and will only end up in confusion. while they are at it, they might as well change the legal systems and also the economies of each state to abide by some of these subjects.

personally, id like to see what state is the smartest, or which leaving certificate is actually the hardest. however, i would be in favour of nsw leaving certificate exams as the hardest since i am doing the hsc.

however, this will involve the changing of school subjects it would seem. and this bullshit about getting a new national exam by the end of next year?!

if the education system is to change, it must be done gradually so that all students have the equal oppotunity of adjusting with this change at a young age. this would also leave enough time for teachers to adjust with this change as well.

even though the new hsc has been introduced for 4 years now, some teachers have still not adjusted with this change and have not been professional about this change as well. therefore as one can tell, it would require more than just the four years or more to actually have this adjusted change complete.

too quick and it will not be to the detriment of the teachers or the education system, but it would directly affect the students that have been played by this system. too slow and the advancement of education would not be moving at the rate of the international stage. therefore there must be a compromise as is done with the haber process (too much study of chem these holidays :D )

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
and add a catalyst of failing children or failing outcomes :D

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
Students unite to protect our fair nation!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)