Britain Shaped the World says Tony Abbot (1 Viewer)

MissSarajevo

HSC
Tony Abbott says Australians should learn about British history

October 13, 2008 10:16am
Article from: AAP

OPPOSITION frontbencher Tony Abbott wants school students to study more British history, saying Britain has shaped the world and should get the credit for it.

The National Curriculum Board today will release a draft curriculum which places a greater focus on world events in history classes.
Mr Abbott said he was in favour of world history but said the focus should be on Britain.
"People have got to know where we came from, they've got to know about the ideas that shaped the modern world, and in a very significant sense, the modern world has been made in England," he said in Canberra.
"I think (the curriculum) needs to be history that pays credit where it's due."
"We are a product of western civilisation, in particular we are a product of English-speaking civilisation."

History classes should start with the history of the Jews, then move on to the Greeks and Romans, then the history of Britain, Mr Abbott said.

Mr Abbott, the shadow indigenous affairs minister, did not mention Aboriginal or Asian history.

When asked specifically about Aboriginal history, Mr Abbott said that could be studied too.
"That's a part of it, sure, but if you want to understand modern Australia, you've got to understand world history," he said.
When asked about Asian history, he said that was important, but it was important to know where we came from.
http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,24487083-421,00.html

44Ronin

HSC
lol *I'm Abott, a dumb politician who is going to say worthless and dumb statements to appear smart to dumb and ignorant people.*

MissSarajevo

HSC
The British Empire was the largest empire in history and, for over a century, was the foremost global power.

It was a product of the Age of Discovery, which began with the maritime explorations of the 15th century, that sparked the era of the European colonial empires.

By 1921, the British Empire held sway over a population of about 458 million people, approximately one-quarter of the world's population.

It covered about 36.7 million km² (14.2 million square miles),about a quarter of Earth's total land area.

As a result, its political, linguistic and cultural legacy is widespread.

At the peak of its power, it was often said that "the sun never sets on the British Empire" because its span across the globe ensured that the sun was always shining on at least one of its numerous colonies or subject nations

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Empire

44Ronin

HSC
MissSarajevo said:
At the peak of its power, it was often said that "the sun never sets on the British Empire" because its span across the globe ensured that the sun was always shining on at least one of its numerous colonies or subject nations
Come up with an actual legacy, perhaps?

44Ronin

HSC
Rebekkie said:
brit did at one point have an empire that covered 30% of the (land part of the) globe. and over 25% of the entire world's population.
Yes but that does not equal this

the modern world has been made in England
Blind leading the blind, I suppose? You and tony both get a big fat F.

MissSarajevo

HSC
44Ronin said:
Come up with an actual legacy, perhaps?
What legacy do you want? You speak english, you are ruled by her majesty the Queen of Australia, you are governed with westminster style parliamentary system with british Common law. Your city is named after Lord Sydney, your state is named after Wales, in Britain. :D

HNAKXR

Wooooooo...OOOoOOOOoOOoP!
HSC
N/A
"We are a product of western civilisation, in particular we are a product of English-speaking civilisation."

we are a product of draconian laws sending convicts from one shithole island to another.

honestly Australians bitch more about their worthless history than Arabs.

zstar

HSC
N/A
Most Australians don't even know Australian history let alone Britains.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Hardly controversial

slickstar_01

Banned
HSC
history of the jews? lol made me laugh. our education system is corrupt to the core.

i would agree with his claim that we should be learning Greeks and roman history. but id like to emphasis that 1 eastern culture should be learnt at school aswell. either ancient Persian, Indus valley or Chinese history.

44Ronin

HSC
MissSarajevo said:
What legacy do you want?
One that justifies his own willy pulling.

You speak english, you are ruled by her majesty the Queen of Australia, you are governed with westminster style parliamentary system with british Common law. Your city is named after Lord Sydney, your state is named after Wales, in Britain. :D
I speak because I've learnt to speak. The queen does not rule me, she simply has allegiance. A parliament system and names, wow you don't have those fancy things elsewhere in the world do you..

Abbot is a moron.

Last edited:

P_Dilemma

Extraordinary Entertainer
HSC
The asshole's got a fucking warped idea about what kids should be taught.

slickstar_01

Banned
HSC
Tony Abbott is an absalute fuckhead. Mr abbott needs to understand is that every civilization builds upon the one before it and there is no shame in this. so get over your fucking British-ness and move fucking on. the asshole sounds like a Muslims speaking as if the Islamic empire is still around and islam will conquer the world.

MissSarajevo

HSC
44Ronin said:
One that justifies his own willy pulling.

I speak because I've learnt to speak. The queen does not rule me, she simply has allegiance. A parliament system and names, wow you don't have those fancy things elsewhere in the world do you..

Abbot is a moron.
You speak english becacuse you have to, thanks to British superiority over its european rivals and domination of the world, that is the british legacy.

And rest of the world copied British parliamentary system because it is the best, that is called a legacy.

If Australia was colonised by any other european nation it will be a third world poor trash country, just look at all other european colonies, except those colonised by the brits, they are all poor 3rd world. Where as british colonies like Australia, USA, Canada and New Zealand are all 1st world, the best countries in the world.

MissSarajevo

HSC
slickstar_01 said:
history of the jews? lol made me laugh. our education system is corrupt to the core.

i would agree with his claim that we should be learning Greeks and roman history. but id like to emphasis that 1 eastern culture should be learnt at school aswell. either ancient Persian, Indus valley or Chinese history.
Don't be jealous cause you paki has no history. Your country was created in 1947 BY the British.

slickstar_01

Banned
HSC
MissSarajevo said:
Don't be jealous cause you paki has no history. Your country was created in 1947 BY the British.
wrong again. pleas stop trolling.

edit: don't push your bullshit agenda in my face. im not a pak nationalist and im not someone who supports a state being formed on religious grounds. so back the fuck up/

Last edited:

Trefoil

One day...
HSC
N/A
MissSarajevo said:
It sounds like a good idea.

Why exactly are people disagreeing? Forget about the man, his actual words carry weight.

Which would you prefer, learning about sand dwellers and farmers, or learning about Greek wars and British exploration of the world (including pirates!)?

I'm sure the PC brigade can still figure out a way to cram their stuff into it. It's not like the aborigines were the only people the Brits oppressed.

I'd hope they include some Spanish history too (including Portuguese), though, since it is intertwined with British, but also probably just as influential.

The French were rather impotent.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)