buying a new laptop (1 Viewer)

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
I have my current laptop for nearly 4 years now and it is on it's last legs and I am looking to buy a new one that will last me a while until I and possibly after I graduate

main use: uni work, web browsing (bos), matlab, coding, design work, engo programs stuff

does anyone know of a laptop that meets these specs (in order of preference)

1. Windows 10 (no mac/apple)
1. processor: i7, 2.5Ghz+ at least running lots of engo software on it
2. light weight / slim: 2kg / 2cm
3. Ram; 4-8gb
3. battery: at least 3hrs
4. storage: at least 128gb SSD (no HDD)
5. 12-14in screen
6. at least 2 usb ports (3.0 prefered)
6. no more than ~2k
7. does not overheat
8. dedicated graphs like 2gb preferred not fussed
9. keyboard/screen does not disconnect
10. looks nice (lol)

not fussed about: touchscreen, cd drive (don't need one), webcam, backlit keyboard

so far I did some internet searches and forms and got: Acer Aspire S7/S5, Samsung ATIV Book 9 Plus (considering this one), Lenovo ThinkPad X1, Lenovo Ideapad Yoga 500, HP ENVY (also considering)

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
they all look like good options, mainly the XPS. I wouldn't mind paying a little bit more for better specs. Might look more into the asus zenbook

thanks guys :D

repped/liked where possible

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Oh and obviously make sure you try out the keyboard. Not everyone likes every keyboard. I realised I don't enjoy using my Dell Inspiron keyboard but thankfully it's for home use so I bought an Ergostand to lift it up (and provide ventilation) and a good mechanical keyboard.

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
Read some reviews before buying as well!
But the problem is most of the time I read reviews they're mixed, one says how he loves the product and the other says how he has problems with it... don't know who to trust.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
But the problem is most of the time I read reviews they're mixed, one says how he loves the product and the other says how he has problems with it... don't know who to trust.
None of them are wrong but read to figure out why they rated it high/low. For example if someone says they don't like one laptop because the trackpad is lousy, this may not be an issue to you if you always use a mouse. If someone says it's too heavy, this may not be an issue if you don't intend to carry it much. If someone says no ethernet port, this may not be relevant if you always use wifi. etc.

Rhinoz8142

HSC
Uni Grad
Square, since your budget is 2K why don't you build a PC with the 1800 range and with the rest buy a chrome book for uni ?

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
Square, since your budget is 2K why don't you build a PC with the 1800 range and with the rest buy a chrome book for uni ?
I personally don't like desktops i would rather have one good laptop that i can take everywhere with me than have to keep exchanging files on dropbox etc.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
MacBook or surface pro
Both are good (presume Mac isn't an option as specified in Op) but you aren't going to find a Surface Pro 4 with an i7 for <$2k even with educational discount. $2k however should be able to get you the i5/256gb SP4 model with a Type Cover... but it misses out on most of the other requirements from Op:

1. processor: i7, 2.5Ghz+ at least running lots of engo software on it
3. Ram; 4-8gb
6. at least 2 usb ports (3.0 prefered)
6. no more than ~2k
8. dedicated graphs like 2gb preferred not fussed
9. keyboard/screen does not disconnect

I'm curious why 4gb of ram is ok but must be i7. Does i7 make that much of a difference for engo software vs. ram?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)