Buying computers online (1 Viewer)

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
yeah its very very safe...as safe as if you were to buy in at their actual store [all of the more popular australian sites have real stores aswell] Infact i buy maybe 80% of my stuff online, and the only reason i dont buy the other 20% is because its not worth it with shipping fees if you are only buying one or two parts.

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
yeah i would say that any legit site would be 95% safe to purchase from
planning to buy a laptop online nian?

MuffinMan

Juno 15/4/08 :)
HSC
I have no idea where that store is located though, so I don't have the luxury of picking it up

edit: well I don't think they sell it umm at lets say the good guys pr something like that, so online is the only option.

I think the link is dead, can anyone confirm this?

Last edited:

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
damn the asus vx1 lamborghini looks the sexc....and all for less than $3000
but damn they do have a shitload of asus computers there

da1

HSC
can any1 plz recommend a suitable type of laptop 4 me. I dont need anything complex, just a simple laptop that i can use 4 uni maybe play a few games and download a few movies, my limit is about 2 grand and preferably recommend a tablet pc laptop...the ones where the screen moves...that would be cool
what kind of qualities should i be looking 4...as u can tell im really hopeless with computers so yea give me a few links to start that would be great
TIA:wave:

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
da1 said:
can any1 plz recommend a suitable type of laptop 4 me. I dont need anything complex, just a simple laptop that i can use 4 uni maybe play a few games and download a few movies, my limit is about 2 grand and preferably recommend a tablet pc laptop...the ones where the screen moves...that would be cool
what kind of qualities should i be looking 4...as u can tell im really hopeless with computers so yea give me a few links to start that would be great
TIA:wave:
http://www.laptop.com.au/product/toshibam2001gb.shtml
that one would probably suit your needs. seeing as youre only using the laptop mainly on uni, then you wouldnt really need that high spec. however, with the games, im sure the nvidia geforce fx5200 would be enough, and for $1299, thats a bargain

MuffinMan

HSC
Well I'm going to use it for

- word processing
- internet / email
- streaming mp3's / dvds over through wireless n
- I want a 7.1 soundcard (pci express or whatever the expansion slot is) + speaker system

voltagex

/dev/quip
HSC
MuffinMan said:
i need a wireless n dongle for my server though, can't find one atm :( do they exist?
802.11N isn't even a standard yet. That's what you get for being an early adopter.
You should be able to use a 802.11G dongle for now. The cheapest USB adaptor I can find is

[SIZE=-1]OzDirect.com
[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]WUSB300N 802.11N USB ADAPTER [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]

6 Ratings [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]$130.16[/SIZE]

There's no guarantee that will work with your current equipment - i.e. 802.11N is not a standard, and all the companies who are using it are doing it slightly differently from each other

A server should be connected with a cable, anyway.

MuffinMan

HSC
I have a g router. So I don't need a g dongle. Does it stream dvd quality movies without lag?

voltagex

/dev/quip
HSC
If you have a 802.11G router then you should match it with the same brand 802.11G USB dongle - because some of the brands support "Afterburner" and "XPress" and "AirPlusG" which are hacks to get more speed/range out of G.

MuffinMan

HSC
I have a router. I need a wireless n dongle to adhoc with my server. (which the router is connected to). I can't use the router for wireless n as it only supports b/g

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)