CAD not taught? (1 Viewer)

_Anonymous

HSC
So I learnt today that USyd doesn't teach Civil Engineering students on how to use AutoCAD or Solidworks throughout their degree which kind of surprised me. Is this true? I've always thought that knowing CAD is an essential skill for both graduate and senior civil engineers so not sure how students would be equipped with that knowledge?

Do other universities such as UNSW teach CAD for Civil Engo students or is it something that should be learnt in your own time?

blyatman

HSC
N/A
So I learnt today that USyd doesn't teach Civil Engineering students on how to use AutoCAD or Solidworks throughout their degree which kind of surprised me. Is this true? I've always thought that knowing CAD is an essential skill for both graduate and senior civil engineers so not sure how students would be equipped with that knowledge?

Do other universities such as UNSW teach CAD for Civil Engo students or is it something that should be learnt in your own time?
I'd be surprised if that were the case, but it could just be that they use another program. However, even in aero we only took one course involving solidworks, and most of us forgot how to use it since we didn't really use it again after that course.

It's pretty easy to learn by these software packages in your own time or on the job. I wouldn't say it's an essential skill unless you were applying for a drafting/cad role. There's many civil engineering roles out there, and only a few of them would require cad skills.

_Anonymous

HSC
I'd be surprised if that were the case, but it could just be that they use another program. However, even in aero we only took one course involving solidworks, and most of us forgot how to use it since we didn't really use it again after that course.

It's pretty easy to learn by these software packages in your own time or on the job. I wouldn't say it's an essential skill unless you were applying for a drafting/cad role. There's many civil engineering roles out there, and only a few of them would require cad skills.
Hopefully they just use another program that I'm not aware of. It'd be nice to learn CAD at a course in Uni without learning on the job.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)