calling all nursing students (1 Viewer)

dark`secrets

<insert title>
HSC
N/A
i was wondering how important is Chem in terms of nursing.
Is it important to the extent that we should pick up a Chemistry bridging course?

inasero

Reborn
HSC
im not a nursing student. but in med chem is not too important in first year so much as biology (well, at least thats the case at Monash) so I reckon you could survive first year without chem. Even if chem is required you could get by on a bridging course as the level required is not too intense. K g'luck.

bluesky100

Carly :-)
HSC
dark`secrets said:
i was wondering how important is Chem in terms of nursing.
Is it important to the extent that we should pick up a Chemistry bridging course?
Only if you didn't do chem in yr 11 and 12, it may help to do a bridging course. I did a bridging course before uni started and it certainly helped build a basic knowledge of chemistry -, then again if your a fast learner you may not even need to do a bridging course. :confused:

The chemistry I did in science in nursing last yr wasn't that difficult. To give you an idea, you might need to know things like the essential elements of the human body + know their symbols, you need to be familiar with compounds, solute, solutions, suspensions & colloids + give examples of each, balancing chemical equations, mixtures (homogenous & heterogenous).

It can be helpful with understanding some aspects of renal failure, burn injury and electrolytes, homeostasis and action potentials (to understand heart physiology and read ECGs) make a lot more sense.

That's why chem is important! ;)

Last edited:

happy cup

has left BOS :)
HSC
N/A
ahh :eek: i didn't do HSC chem or bio and i'm doing nursing this year hehe

bluesky100

Carly :-)
HSC
I never did chemistry either, plus I’m usually a slow learner and managed do okay w/ the chemistry component of the course.

Not sure about bio though, when I went for my foundation studies interview last yr I overheard the VTAC selection officer tell an applicant she might struggle having not done yr 12 biology. :eek:

Good luck, just study a lot you'll be fine happy cup! :)

Keen

MD
HSC
Nah, but you'll have to work really hard.
Maybe in these next weeks before uni just start getting some basics or do some bridging courses as if you didn't do any you probably want to do some chem/biol.
Unlike med, nursing would require you to go through some of the basic sciences in first year.

Keen

GirlGoneMad

Kitten Kong
HSC
The uni sent me two printouts on bridging courses for bio and chem. I did chem for the HSC and my mum who is a nurse said it is easy enough to pick up bio. Just read some books before you start to ease your nerves or find some stuff on the net. I was gonna look over yr 11 and 12 bio books. (at least the relevent bits) Don't worry. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)