Can I still get an ATAR of 80+? (1 Viewer)

nuvardex

HSC
Hi. Recently got my marks and some ranks back for all subjects after trials. These are my overall marks:

1662365526686.png

I've been doing 1 past paper per 2 days for maths so I'm really trying to bounce back from that result, but I'm super disappointed about English and Physics because I was going so well but had a very limited amount of time to prepare for the trials. What should I do from here until HSC exams to get 80 and is it still possible? Thanks.

Life'sHard

HSC
Uni Grad
2020: 1
2019: 2
2017: 2
2016: 2
I think they meant for each subject, how many band 6s.

I'm not too sure how the moderations and stuff works with a cohort of 10 for maths lol. But it is quite possible to achieve an 80+ atar if you improve your maths and english whilst trying to achieve an 85+ average for the rest of your subjects in the HSC.

carrotsss

HSC
Yes, judging by your rankings an ATAR of 80+ is more than possible assuming you put in the required effort for the HSC exams. I would advice placing a particular focus on your weaker subjects such as English (which has to count no matter what), while aiming to maintain your high performance in multimedia, PDHPE and physics. Good luck! :)

Last edited:

Run hard@thehsc

HSC
Yep, just affirming what the others said. Try to do really well in the externals (especially in the subjects you are ranked 1st or 2nd in) and an 80+ ATAR looks very likely. Good luck !

NoMoreModernSR

HSC
Yep, just affirming what the others said. Try to do really well in the externals (especially in the subjects you are ranked 1st or 2nd in) and an 80+ ATAR looks very likely. Good luck !
Bro U here today? Or did all 3 of U not come

bruhwth

HSC
Yo. Quick question. My rankings are pretty good (2nd in phys, English adv, eco; 3rd in chem and 1st in 2u math). For most my subjects i'm very close (like 1-2 marks) to rank 1, and I think the gap between me and rank 1 in chem is 4-5 marks. When it comes to moderation would my moderated mark be very close to rank 1 in most of my subjects (assume my performance in externals is strong)?

Say rank 1 gets a moderated mark of 93 for phys for example since that was the highest external phys mark achieved. Would my moderated assessment mark be like around 92,91 ish? I have 0 doubt on my external performance, so with that being considered, I would be showing nesa that I can meet internal criteria to a high level and perform equally well in a standardised exam. Thus shouldn't my moderated mark reflect my high performance, and give me a moderated assessment mark relatively close to rank 1?

Sorry for the ramble, pretty confused and anxious about this. Also, school in the high 100's just in the triple digits. The cohort for the most part is pretty meh, but like around the top ranks its strong.

Run hard@thehsc

HSC
Yo. Quick question. My rankings are pretty good (2nd in phys, English adv, eco; 3rd in chem and 1st in 2u math). For most my subjects i'm very close (like 1-2 marks) to rank 1, and I think the gap between me and rank 1 in chem is 4-5 marks. When it comes to moderation would my moderated mark be very close to rank 1 in most of my subjects (assume my performance in externals is strong)?

Say rank 1 gets a moderated mark of 93 for phys for example since that was the highest external phys mark achieved. Would my moderated assessment mark be like around 92,91 ish? I have 0 doubt on my external performance, so with that being considered, I would be showing nesa that I can meet internal criteria to a high level and perform equally well in a standardised exam. Thus shouldn't my moderated mark reflect my high performance, and give me a moderated assessment mark relatively close to rank 1?

Sorry for the ramble, pretty confused and anxious about this. Also, school in the high 100's just in the triple digits. The cohort for the most part is pretty meh, but like around the top ranks its strong.
fair - approx how many people are doing each subject (This could give a better idea ig)?

bruhwth

HSC
Cohort is pretty small for most subjects.

English-17
2u math - <20
phys - 29
chem - 15
eco - 17 ish

Run hard@thehsc

HSC
if you are close to the top rank, you should get an internal moderated mark pretty close to it either way - but this is dependent on the external performance. Try to smash it and its definitely possible! Also, past performance in your school for no. of band 6s is kind of a good indicator for your subjects - so if your ranks are within those, you have a great chance. Regardless externals are crucial!

carrotsss

HSC

If you are much closer to rank 1 than rank 3 then you will get a higher moderated mark as nesa tries to keep the gaps between marks. However, if this is not the case then your moderated mark may still have decent gap between yourself and first, and you may just need to perform sufficiently well in the externals to counter a sub-90 moderated school assessment mark.

Additionally, at this stage try your hardest to make sure your cohort performs well (this could mean study groups etc), as if they perform well in the externals then your school assessment mark will be increased.

Judging by your rankings you should do great nonetheless, good luck with the hsc :D

bruhwth

HSC
If you are much closer to rank 1 than rank 3 then you will get a higher moderated mark as nesa tries to keep the gaps between marks. However, if this is not the case then your moderated mark may still have decent gap between yourself and first, and you may just need to perform sufficiently well in the externals to counter a sub-90 moderated school assessment mark.

Additionally, at this stage try your hardest to make sure your cohort performs well (this could mean study groups etc), as if they perform well in the externals then your school assessment mark will be increased.

Judging by your rankings you should do great nonetheless, good luck with the hsc :D
Im not sure about much closer for most of my subjects, as for example in one subject i am behind rank 1 by 1 mark while rank 3 is behind rank 1 by 3 marks, so pretty close at the top end. For other subjects like eco the difference between me and rank 3 is massive, (i am only 2 marks of rank 1). So it varies slightly over the board depending on the competitiveness of the class. So in that case how would it be looking? Cause i assume If there is people with similar final weighted marks that should be good for us in the higher ranks no?

carrotsss

HSC
Im not sure about much closer for most of my subjects, as for example in one subject i am behind rank 1 by 1 mark while rank 3 is behind rank 1 by 3 marks, so pretty close at the top end. For other subjects like eco the difference between me and rank 3 is massive, (i am only 2 marks of rank 1). So it varies slightly over the board depending on the competitiveness of the class. So in that case how would it be looking? Cause i assume If there is people with similar final weighted marks that should be good for us in the higher ranks no?
In that case you should be fine, honestly just try as hard as you can for the hsc and you'll do great.

Also, just to clear up misunderstanding, your internal and external marks are independent of each other for the most part (unless you're first place in both), and your performance in the external exam won't make nesa increase your internal mark, however it can still increase your overall hsc mark.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)