Can i still improve my chemistry rank? (1 Viewer)

proxyluv

HSC
N/A
Ok, I am not asking if I can still achieve the atar that I want and whatever, because I understand that the only way to get the atar you want, you need to focus on your internal ranks and raw HSC marks. What I am asking in this thread is can i improve my ranking in chemistry in semester 2?

my chemistry mark/ rank

term 1-
assessment 1 (weighting 20%) = 67%
overall rank 8/17

term 2
assessment 2 (weighting 30%) = 73%
overall rank 12/17

my rank dropped in the term 2 assessment because my cohort average for the term 2 depth-study task was 24/30 or 25/30 and I got 22/30. With it being a higher weighting it obviously pushed me down.
My next two assessments are the open book organic chemistry exam with a weighting of 20 percent. The last internal exam is trials and that is weighted at 30 percent. Hypotheically, if I were to work at a consistent pace and get higher marks against my cohort (so marks of 95+) then could my rank reach into the top 3 of the class before my HSC? I really want a high band 5/ low band 6 in chemistry and I just has parent teacher interviews, and I am sitting at a mark of 70.6. Can I still reach the top three ranks?

P.S I know that it depends on how my cohort goes aswell, but the last assessment was a submission task, and so it is easier to gain marks on that assessment, others will struggle with exams in the next two tasks, so I have a better chance of beating them.

Overall, my question is can I hypothetically still reach top 3 in rank (in semester 2), even with the ranks I have now?

I want to achieve a high rank, so I can go into the HSC with a good foundation. Thank you :)

Last edited:

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Hypotheically, if I were to work at a consistent pace and get higher marks against my cohort (so marks of 95+) then could my rank reach into the top 3 of the class before my HSC? I really want a high band 5/ low band 6 in chemistry and I just has parent teacher interviews, and I am sitting at a mark of 70.6. Can I still reach the top three ranks?
others will struggle with exams in the next two tasks, so I have a better chance of beating them.
You have 50% of your internals left to go. Getting 95% in your next assessment and trials will surely rank you much higher (going by the information you provided about other students).

If you rank first in both of them, I can pretty safely assume you'll reach top 5 at least. I don't want to discourage you by saying top 3 is out of reach because that might not even be true.

This probably isn't the best comparison (since these are different subjects) but back when I did my HSC, I didn't do very well in an IPT topic test (76%), but since my other marks were high enough (93%, 99% for assessment tasks and 87% for trials), I was able to score 90 in internals and rank 3rd. My final HSC mark was 91.

In short, to have a chance of reaching your desired rank you pretty much only have one option, and that is to smash the open book exams and study hard for trials.

All the best! :D

proxyluv

HSC
N/A
You have 50% of your internals left to go. Getting 95% in your next assessment and trials will surely rank you much higher (going by the information you provided about other students).

If you rank first in both of them, I can pretty safely assume you'll reach top 5 at least. I don't want to discourage you by saying top 3 is out of reach because that might not even be true.

This probably isn't the best comparison (since these are different subjects) but back when I did my HSC, I didn't do very well in an IPT topic test (76%), but since my other marks were high enough (93%, 99% for assessment tasks and 87% for trials), I was able to score 90 in internals and rank 3rd. My final HSC mark was 91.

In short, to have a chance of reaching your desired rank you pretty much only have one option, and that is to smash the open book exams and study hard for trials.

All the best! :D
This actually helps alot, my teacher is quite- how can I say? demotivating? Don't get me wrong he is very knowlegeble, and tries to look at things realistically, but he does like to favour other students he deems to have the most potential. So his time is spent mostly with them, so it is good to get a different opinion. I really hope borders are open by the time I finish the HSC because I want to study PPE (philosophy, politics and economics) in the UK, and I know by getting a good chem rank and mark it will boost my atar, to get what I need. But thank you very much! It really has helped me and motivated me :)

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
This actually helps alot, my teacher is quite- how can I say? demotivating? Don't get me wrong he is very knowlegeble, and tries to look at things realistically, but he does like to favour other students he deems to have the most potential. So his time is spent mostly with them, so it is good to get a different opinion. I really hope borders are open by the time I finish the HSC because I want to study PPE (philosophy, politics and economics) in the UK, and I know by getting a good chem rank and mark it will boost my atar, to get what I need. But thank you very much! It really has helped me and motivated me :)
That's great to hear! If you believe in your abilities and work hard enough, nothing can stop you. 😄

idkkdi

HSC
Ok, I am not asking if I can still achieve the atar that I want and whatever, because I understand that the only way to get the atar you want, you need to focus on your internal ranks and raw HSC marks. What I am asking in this thread is can i improve my ranking in chemistry in semester 2?

my chemistry mark/ rank

term 1-
assessment 1 (weighting 20%) = 67%
overall rank 8/17

term 2
assessment 2 (weighting 30%) = 73%
overall rank 12/17

my rank dropped in the term 2 assessment because my cohort average for the term 2 depth-study task was 24/30 or 25/30 and I got 22/30. With it being a higher weighting it obviously pushed me down.
My next two assessments are the open book organic chemistry exam with a weighting of 20 percent. The last internal exam is trials and that is weighted at 30 percent. Hypotheically, if I were to work at a consistent pace and get higher marks against my cohort (so marks of 95+) then could my rank reach into the top 3 of the class before my HSC? I really want a high band 5/ low band 6 in chemistry and I just has parent teacher interviews, and I am sitting at a mark of 70.6. Can I still reach the top three ranks?

P.S I know that it depends on how my cohort goes aswell, but the last assessment was a submission task, and so it is easier to gain marks on that assessment, others will struggle with exams in the next two tasks, so I have a better chance of beating them.

Overall, my question is can I hypothetically still reach top 3 in rank (in semester 2), even with the ranks I have now?

I want to achieve a high rank, so I can go into the HSC with a good foundation. Thank you :)
depends on the school lol.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)