Can someone help me out with ranking in a two person class please?? (1 Viewer)

CacakCetnik

HSC
Hi Guys,

I do extension one and two English with another student (there's only two of us). So far I've been barely passing my assignments i.e 50-60 % in all of them, she's been getting upwards of 80% each assignment. Obviously I'm ranked second and she's ranked first but different teachers have told me different things about how it will affect my atar/ hsc mark/ scaling. Could someone who understands it explain how it would affect my mark if at all?

Thank you very much in advance

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Since you’re ranked second, if you get a higher mark than your classmate in the HSC exam, your classmate gets that mark as her internal assessment mark, because she ranked first.

The lowest assessment mark is also adjusted to equal the lowest exam mark. I believe that implies that if you end up ranking second and get a lower HSC exam mark than your classmate, you will receive your own HSC exam mark as your assessment mark. In that case, performing well in the HSC exam may help you increase your final assessment mark, leading to a better final HSC mark.

quickoats

HSC
Tbh since the gap between you is quite significant, both of you will just get your own respective marks (the case where she does worse than you in the HSC seems not super likely, but can happen). You won't be 'scaled down' because you are in last position nor scaled up since you are second behind her. This is assuming that your in-school performance reflects how you'll perform in the HSC.

CacakCetnik

HSC
Since you’re ranked second, if you get a higher mark than your classmate in the HSC exam, your classmate gets that mark as her internal assessment mark, because she ranked first.

The lowest assessment mark is also adjusted to equal the lowest exam mark. I believe that implies that if you end up ranking second and get a lower HSC exam mark than your classmate, you will receive your own HSC exam mark as your assessment mark. In that case, performing well in the HSC exam may help you increase your final assessment mark, leading to a better final HSC mark.
okay, thank you man I understand now.

CacakCetnik

HSC
Tbh since the gap between you is quite significant, both of you will just get your own respective marks (the case where she does worse than you in the HSC seems not super likely, but can happen). You won't be 'scaled down' because you are in last position nor scaled up since you are second behind her. This is assuming that your in-school performance reflects how you'll perform in the HSC.
thanks man,

qswdefrgthyjukil

HSC
Similar situation here, currently ranking 2nd in software design and development in a cohort of 2, not by a huge margin of difference currently (maybe like 3 marks total for the entire HSC course so far) but I'm expecting to do badly in the upcoming assessment worth 35%. If that happens, would it have much of an effect on my overall results if, like above, I expect to remain in 2nd place for internals? I'm just not sure if failing this assessment would be a huge problem going forwards.

quickoats

HSC
Similar situation here, currently ranking 2nd in software design and development in a cohort of 2, not by a huge margin of difference currently (maybe like 3 marks total for the entire HSC course so far) but I'm expecting to do badly in the upcoming assessment worth 35%. If that happens, would it have much of an effect on my overall results if, like above, I expect to remain in 2nd place for internals? I'm just not sure if failing this assessment would be a huge problem going forwards.
Is the upcoming assessment trials? Since it's probably a better reflection of your relative HSC performance compared to other tasks, you can probably expect to come 2nd in the hsc exam so you'll just get the mark you earn so no need to worry.

If you do manage to beat the person coming first in the hsc, your marks will be averaged out as per usual.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)