car prob (1 Viewer)

A High Way Man

all ova da world
HSC
Hey so im driving this car, its an old merc, and i cbf checking the model but it looks like this

basically when im going up a hill it takes ages to change gears and ill be going pretty slow up the hill for 20-30 seconds extra than i feel i should be. what is stuffed

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Problem: it's an auto
Solution: get a manual

srs solution: auto gearboxes are really shit and give heaps more problems than manuals, don't last half as long, and giver much shitter fuel economy and performance, especially in heavy, dopey old bombs like mercs. The gearbox is probablly shagged and it'll get worse till the thing fails totally and costs you a fortune and you should bail on the car.

Make it someone else's problem, unless you really love the car.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
On an old merc it's probablly not cheap.

I don't think anyone here will be able to give better advice than 'take it to a professional'.

Gearbox problems aren't good though. It won't be cheap.

F2001

HSC
whats the model? a N/A C180?

aww there starts the auto bullshit again. Semi auto technology surpassed manuals/seq manuals in the early 90s. And just now we are seeing it in road cars... Keep going with your GM bogan talk

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Which road cars are you referring to? 'Sif there's an auto that's faster/stronger/more economical than a seq manual, or even a regular manual.

Jake22

HSC
Which road cars are you referring to? 'Sif there's an auto that's faster/stronger/more economical than a seq manual, or even a regular manual.
why do you think they use auto's in drag cars.... cos they are faster than a manual maybe? nah couldnt be, cos 'sif theres an auto thats faster than a manual.

wtf

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Talkin' bout road cars broheim.

I don't know anything about drags, but I assume the gearbox is electronically programmed to shift at very specific speed and RPM's, and they're auto because there's no way a human could shift that perfectly. I know about launch control and the need for two stage rev-limiters and shiz.

It would be much more efficient to have an auto in that case cause the thing is operated at full throttle all the time, can be programmed perfectly, doesn't need the versatility and compromise of an auto in a road car.

Very different application and technology to road cars.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Take it to a professional because clearly you don't know what you're doing. A professional will be able to give you some options. All options will be $$$$.

Option 1: replace with manual
Option 2: recondition auto and reduce shift time
Option 3: replace with a better auto from something else

Only idiots spend that kinda $$$$ on shitty old mercs. Live with it or buy a car which you can drive up a hill without having a whinge about.

bowman

Bowmanation
HSC
could just be a case that ur kickdown cable is fucked.
I.E the thing that changes down gears when ur going up hills when ur revs get to low.

Hey so im driving this car, its an old merc, and i cbf checking the model but it looks like this

basically when im going up a hill it takes ages to change gears and ill be going pretty slow up the hill for 20-30 seconds extra than i feel i should be. what is stuffed

TypeR

HSC
You seriously dont know the model of your car?

How would you know different parts on the car then..

globez

HSC
change the gears urself, when u start to go up the hill press the accelerator then let go and press again, that engages that u want to drop down a gear

F2001

HSC
change the gears urself, when u start to go up the hill press the accelerator then let go and press again, that engages that u want to drop down a gear
reducing load will usually make the car hold a gear or shift up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)