Career Advice? (1 Viewer)

tempco

HSC
i'm currently undertaking a bachelor of economics at unsw. i plan on majoring in econometrics and finance. i'll be totally honest here, and say that i have no idea what i'm getting myself into (career prospects, where i'll be going after graduation, employers i should be looking at, honours/masters). i'll be emailing faculty staff tomorrow morning, along with a few general-question based emails to financial organisations just for the heck of it, so i was thinking - maybe BoSers might have a few useful things to say.

to put things into perspective, i'd like to work in investment banking (fund/risk management?). i hope i chose the right degree.

• so, did i choose the right degree/major? if not, what would be the ideal degree/major?
  • how important/relevent are honours/masters? would it be preferable to enter the work force asap?
  • which companies/institutions should i focus on (in terms of queries and potential employment in the near future)?
that's all i can think of in the wee hours of the morning. any replies (or additional info/suggestions) are much appreciated!

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
I would say that with an econometrics and finance major that where you are capable of working is endless.
Competition in investment banking is tough, but shouldn't discourage you from applying, and in terms of which companies, just open your FINS1612 textbook to options or risk management or somewhere like that, there is a full list of investment banks.;)..heck, I've got all their career sites bookmarked.:p

launcher169

Lord of Chaos
HSC
I have to agree with Nekkid....i am also doing a B Economics majoring in Economics and Marketing....What do you guys think my career prospects are....most likely in a marketing firm, or perhaps in the marketing dept of a major corporation.

What do you guys think?

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
From what I've looked at there are heapz of jobz involved in marketin.

I do B Com (mrktin tourism hosp. management) and I'm not sure which I should get into, I like workin in hospitality but the money involved in marketin iz greater. Also what would a honourz do fo me...?

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
nekkid, I highly suggest that you go on to do Honours in Econometrics (not finance), because honours graduates in quantitative economics are VERY employable by investment banks and the RBA. The honours will give you a huge edge over the normal grads

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
Minai said:
The honours will give you a huge edge over the normal grads
Honours in any commerce field would give you an edge.

Affinity

HSC
Even accounting.. ceteris paribus ofcourse

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
Sarah said:
Even Accounting?
Oh yeahh, i mean, not everyone can do honours (Distinction average) - and the extra year of coursework is very impressive.

tempco

HSC
totally. OK, HD average for the rest of by course. lucky for me:

To be admitted into Honours in the School of Economics, a candidate must have completed the equivalent of a BEc or a BCom degree in economics with a grade point average of at least 70% on second and third level courses (including non-economics courses).
since i screwed up first sem. :D

thanks for all the replies.

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
nekkid said:
totally. OK, HD average for the rest of by course. lucky for me:

since i screwed up first sem. :D

thanks for all the replies.
Yeah...go econometics ! :D

But dun worry about not getting the marks for honours - i mean, at my interview they asked once about my academics (which uni, marks etc), not even interested in looking at my transcript (just my word) and totalled about 1% of the entire discussion.

tempco

HSC
interview for what?

and you said you had a hd average, right? ;)

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
nekkid said:
interview for what?

and you said you had a hd average, right? ;)
haha, no way HD average ...not after this semester
macq bank interview..

Affinity

HSC
seraphim, thought you'd be on a date with your stats notes at the moment :p

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
lol gave up on my stat notes. frankly, just given up, period -.- =/

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
not necessarily..for graduate jobs anyway
for example a Big4 accounting firm couldn't care less if you were doing law, commerce or even engineering (at my interview, there were 2 engineering students going for auditing graduate jobs, and not even combined, just pure engineering)

Honours is useful if you are going to a career in academia, because it is really a research year, coursework is only, at most, 50% of the year, the other half is basically your research thesis.

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
Minai said:
not necessarily..for graduate jobs anyway
for example a Big4 accounting firm couldn't care less if you were doing law, commerce or even engineering (at my interview, there were 2 engineering students going for auditing graduate jobs, and not even combined, just pure engineering)

Honours is useful if you are going to a career in academia, because it is really a research year, coursework is only, at most, 50% of the year, the other half is basically your research thesis.
I think theyre broadening their selection criteria because there is more demand than supply of graduates wanting to do accounting. But what about other discriplines? esp quantitative. eg Actuarial Studies, Finance

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)