Career (1 Viewer)

adamj

Just wandering, is anybody from here going to try out for Law next year whether it be the LLB or DipLaw?

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
That would be wonderful, but hopes are fading with all this talk of cutoffs jumping up....

2late

Yep those were my original plans.

But with my disastrous English exam I have applied for college. So much for practicing law. But who knows I may decide to go down that road in a few years time...

WilRic

HSC
N/A
I intend to become a legal practitioner and sue the Board of Studies and it's associated organisations for placing undue stress upon year 12 students with ridiculous "Legal Studies" examinations :)

2late

Make it a class action! (is there such thing? been watching too many law dramas)

I'll sign on now. :D

LaZy_KoReAn

DrunkenMC
HSC
Originally posted by 2late
Yep those were my original plans.

But with my disastrous English exam I have applied for college. So much for practicing law. But who knows I may decide to go down that road in a few years time...
Which College and what course? Isn't it expensive last i checked it was between $8,000-$20,000/year

2late

Originally posted by LaZy_KoReAn
Which College and what course? Isn't it expensive last i checked it was between $8,000-$20,000/year
I've totally changed my career path. I'm going for an Advanced Business Diploma with the APM training institute. Bout $14,00 for the one year course.

adamj

Well you can do a Diploma in Law with 66UAI, allows you to become a lawyer

Ringo

Im heading for Architecture/Town Planning at Sydney or UNSW.

I might go for Law at Sydney Uni after I can apply via graduate entry. Somehow I think I'll miss out UAI-wise. Law degree is always a good thing to have.

connie

HSC
N/A
i was going to do law at wollongong but deicided i'm guarenteed to get into arts at sydney so i'll do that for a year and then combine it with law... my parents were so much more pleased with the thought of sydney uni over wollongong, they fail to understand that there is nothing special about an arts degree!

Nupil

HSC
N/A
I never wanted to continue with law after this year ... I have no inclination and definitely not the marks! Also my sister is some law genuis (how you become one without trying is beyond me) and she does it and crikey it looks so boring, I vow never to be like my darling but boring sister :p!

I hope to teach or possibly do Business/International Studies ... yet the more I think about the private sector the more I want to be as far away from it as possible. Personally I don't know what I want ... but anything not to do with law and legal studies for a few years will make me happy!

Good-luck to all of you who want to get into law, if you really want to do it ... you'll do it some way or another :).

And ps - I just have to say I hate the yellow faces! They don't signify what I want to say at all and make me look like a mad woman!

adamj

Problem with Graduate Law at Sydney Uni, you need a UAI of 90 generally.

The admission to the course is based upon 75% on your grades through undergraduate degree and the other 25% on your UAI, a UAI of 90 is recommended.

adamj

Originally posted by 2late
Make it a class action! (is there such thing? been watching too many law dramas)

I'll sign on now. :D
Class actions do exist, you need 7 people at least who have been affected by the same defendant.

connie

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by adamj
Problem with Graduate Law at Sydney Uni, you need a UAI of 90 generally.

The admission to the course is based upon 75% on your grades through undergraduate degree and the other 25% on your UAI, a UAI of 90 is recommended.
u serious? so i do arts for one year and then i want to combine it with law, they still look at my uai?

i thought they looked at your marks in the subject and you just have to get like a distinction average or something?

mememe

Originally posted by connie
u serious? so i do arts for one year and then i want to combine it with law, they still look at my uai?

i thought they looked at your marks in the subject and you just have to get like a distinction average or something?
I heard it was 50% UAI and 50% grade average after one year of uni. I was planning on doing the same thing, do arts a USYD then change, but im worried i wont be able to transfer and ill be stuck with just arts!

adamj

I have an email from the Law faculty when I enquired, here it is:

Dear Jonathan,

Thank you for your interest in the Graduate Law program at the Faculty of Law, University of Sydney. This program is designed for students who already hold a non-law degree in another field and wish to gain the academic qualifications to be a legal practitioner.

I assume that by "Diploma in Law" you mean the Diploma of Law run by the Law Extension Committee? If you completed this Diploma you would not need to undertake a Grad Law program as you would have a Law degree.

Full information on the Graduate Law Program may be found at http://heifer.ucc.usyd.edu.au/law/FMPro?-DB=law.fp5&-FORMAT=h00.htm&code=h01a01&Max=1&-Find This is a 3 year full-time program.

All applications for Graduate Law are processed by the Universities Admissions Centre (UAC). Applications will be open from August each year for courses starting in March the following year. Please visit UAC's website for more details at www.uac.edu.au or purchase the UAC Guide from a newsagent.

Competition for places is keen and admission is based on 25% UAI (or equivalent) and 75% tertiary grade point average. Success at gaining entry depends on the quality of the applicants you are competing against in any given year. Experience shows that a UAI of 90 and a grade point average in the Credit range are necessary for a competitive application.

The Graduate Law program is a HECS liable program which costs around $6200 per year. Full-fee paying entry costs around $18,000 per year.

Details of scholarships can be found at http://heifer.ucc.usyd.edu.au/law/FMPro?-DB=law.fp5&-FORMAT=b00.htm&code=b03&Max=1&-Find

The online printable Graduate Law brochure can be found at http://www.law.usyd.edu.au/InformationPack/index.htm

Please let me know if you have any further queries.

adamj

well at Uni, on top of your undergraduate.

Then you need to complete a graduate diploma in legal practice, involves three months theory and three months working for a legal practioner. Then after completion you need to apply with the Law Society (as a Solicitor) or to the Bar Association (as a Barrister after completing a reading course and exam).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)