change pref. (1 Viewer)

hey help me..
if i got offered for my 4th preference in the main round, but i decided to put my 5th preference as my 3rd preference, would i still be considered for hat application in the second round?

kini mini

HSC
You cannot change your preferences after the 2nd of Jan I think. So if at that time your OLD fifth pref has become your 3rd pref, and you are only offered your 4th, you would be taking a great risk in waiting for the second round as you may or may not get an offer, but your 4th pref place will be gone. That's my understanding anyway.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
The risk of waiting for an offer in the Late rounds is that the UAI may skyrocket (eg if it was 85 in the main round, it could go up to 95 or something, because the number of places ur competing for has reduced dramatically)

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
it was weird because late round acturial studies is like mid-99s ... while main round is only about 96 ...

Ultimate

Unknown
HSC
Originally posted by flyin'
it was weird because late round acturial studies is like mid-99s ... while main round is only about 96 ...
I'm hoping to do actuarial studies at either UNSW or macquaire and if the cut-off is 99+ I'm stuffed.

errrrrr i am confused

i am saying, before the 3rd of jan, my preferences are set, so in the main round offer, i got my 4th offer on the 17th. but then i decided i want to do my 6th pref instead, so i move my 6th pref to third, and shift everything down by one. then would i be considered for the preferences in the late round/?

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Re: errrrrr i am confused

Originally posted by 1234567
i am saying, before the 3rd of jan, my preferences are set, so in the main round offer, i got my 4th offer on the 17th. but then i decided i want to do my 6th pref instead, so i move my 6th pref to third, and shift everything down by one. then would i be considered for the preferences in the late round/?
yes, if u choose not to accept your offer (which would be the 4th one), and u decide to want to do ur 6th by moving it up, ur preferences will be considered in the late round

BUT! if u think u'll get in easily cos its a much lower UAI, think again, because in the late round, there are far less places available, if any, and therefore the UAI cutoff will skyrocket (read flyin's post on actuary, it went up to 99+ from 96). So there is a great risk in waiting for a late round offer.

Sarah

HSC
N/A
accept the preference u got offered during the main round and wait and see if u get offered one of your higher preferences in the 2nd round. u can then accept the 2nd round one and go back and decline the main round one.

btw, that's what i've been told by a friend who did hsc last yr

kate

i got told similar from a friend who did her hsc last year too
you can accept an offer but later decline it if you get something better

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
exactly

it would be foolish and dangerous to not accept an offer in the main round

Weisy

the evenstar
HSC
yeah, we were always told to accept the first offer you get, no matter what it is (presuming that since you put it on your UAC form, you actaully want to do it). Then change your preferences round (if need be) for the late round. If you also get an offer in the late round, then you can choose which to take and which to reject.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Ultimate

I'm hoping to do actuarial studies at either UNSW or macquaire and if the cut-off is 99+ I'm stuffed.
both will be similar to last year because at nsw it just commerce (plus another) which is about 94 ... while at macq acturial is an individual course and is about 96 for single and 97+ for double ... main rounds should be no problem but late rounds are definitely out of reach ...

anyway, if i dont get in first round ... ill start commerce at macq ... and transfer ...:)

Sarah

HSC
N/A
you can get more than one offer if for example you get offered a place for the preference 6 in the main round but the uai for preference 3 in the late and final rounds goes down, then u might get offered a place for preference 3.

it's in the info that uac sent us.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)