Changing courses (yr 1 to yr 2) (1 Viewer)

BillyMak

Silent majority
HSC
Heya, I know I've asked questions about transferring before, but I just have a few more questions....
Firstly, I've decided to change from BCommerce to BScience/BEducation with the goal of becoming a maths teacher. As I understand it you can use your UAI to get into university for 2 years, and next year (2006 applications) would be the second year as I did the HSC in 2004, and I wouldn't be transferring using my 1st year uni marks, they aren't good enough :p I'd do all this by applying through UAC again right?

Also (even though this probably isn't the best place to ask), on UAC there are two categories that you can apply through, "2005 Year 12 Applicants" and "Non-Year 12 Applicants". If I apply through the second option would UAC have access to my UAI even though I did the HSC last year?
It just seemed that the second option was meant for mature-aged students, deferred students, etc. that don't use the UAI to get into uni.

Ok... I think that's all my questions, thanks for reading this far :) Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

heidi_kak

HSC
I'm pretty sure that if you're applying through UAC and you've completed (or will have completed) one full year of uni, then they will take 50% UAI and 50% tertiary gpa. if you're applying internally this could be different.

and uac will still have your uai lol

BillyMak

Silent majority
HSC
Hmm.... I wasn't even aware that you could apply internally. Does this mean that I could bypass UAC altogether?

ace

is retired
HSC
as of last year believe, they discontinued all internal transfers (albeit a few minor ones, where someone was transferring to a degree of a lower entry requirement)

just ring student central for clarification if you need it, cheerio

BillyMak

Silent majority
HSC
So when trying to change courses and start from scratch, do they definately take into account your uni marks?
Also, does this seem good enough to get in? The cutoff was 78 last year, my UAI was 96.05, and my WAM for 1st session was 60, although that is very likely to drop this session because I am doing ACTL1001, MATH1251, etc. Not sure how I'll go, marks for this session so far definately indicate a pretty shit WAM.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
BillyMak said:
So when trying to change courses and start from scratch, do they definately take into account your uni marks?
Also, does this seem good enough to get in? The cutoff was 78 last year, my UAI was 96.05, and my WAM for 1st session was 60, although that is very likely to drop this session because I am doing ACTL1001, MATH1251, etc. Not sure how I'll go, marks for this session so far definately indicate a pretty shit WAM.
You still should be able to transfer if you can lift to a credit average.

And yes, they should take into account your first year marks if the science faculty take 50% UAI/50% 1st year marks

BillyMak

Silent majority
HSC
That is really, _really_, annoying. If I thought I was capable of getting a credit average in Actuarial Studies I doubt I would bother trying to change degrees anyway.

Hmm.... I have another noob question. Is there somewhere in the university that I could go to to talk with people who are in charge of this stuff? Like a question desk or something?

Also, assuming I can't lift to a credit average after this semester (Actuarial is killing me...) what would be the best way to get into the new course?

Last edited:

Sarah

HSC
N/A
BillyMak said:
That is really, _really_, annoying. If I thought I was capable of getting a credit average in Actuarial Studies I doubt I would bother trying to change degrees anyway.

Hmm.... I have another noob question. Is there somewhere in the university that I could go to to talk with people who are in charge of this stuff? Like a question desk or something?

Also, assuming I can't lift to a credit average after this semester (Actuarial is killing me...) what would be the best way to get into the new course?
So how come you're doing Actuarial studies?

Try talking to ppl in the Science or Arts faculties. They should be able to answer your questions about transferring

shannonm

HSC
N/A
just stop thinking about all that bullshit they use and just apply for transfer ffs

laney

HSC
it'll be based on your UAI, if this is your second year. forget uni marks cause they're not gonna count.

you can find EVERYTHING you need to know on the UNSW handbook. that's the OFFICIAL guide. don't listen to anything else people tell you - if it's in the book then thats' what goes.

BillyMak

Silent majority
HSC
laney said:
it'll be based on your UAI, if this is your second year. forget uni marks cause they're not gonna count.

you can find EVERYTHING you need to know on the UNSW handbook. that's the OFFICIAL guide. don't listen to anything else people tell you - if it's in the book then thats' what goes.
I should consider myself the luckiest person alive right now.....

I just went in to talk to the student enrollment centre, and it turns out that if you decide to stop progress before the 16th of September, then you can get in next year based solely on your UAI. Anything after that and they take 50% UAI and 50% uni marks. Considering it's the 12th today I can count my lucky stars I found this out now......

Oh btw, the guy there said that the reason for this is that they consider 36UOC a year to be full time, so if you complete any less than that (ie. typical 24UOC in 1st session, and don't complete subjects in 2nd session) then they don't consider it to be enough of a indicator to base university admissions on.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)