Changing Self - My Place (1 Viewer)

sophi

Does ne1 do Changing Slef AOS in relation to Sally Morgan's My Place or is it just my stupid school.

If there is ne1 else out there I would really appreciate if we could swap material I'm a bit short and well the text is pretty weak in representing the changing selves presented. If u can help....

THANX

jaNetix

yeh i do it too..its so friggen crap
i dont realli have typed notes on it...
i crap on alot...but it works for my place..

juz talk abt the whole 'fitting in' theme...and how she found her culture and ppl, which say it all together now...led to sally finding 'her place'!

i hate this text...

id swear there are like NO techniques....

xoKate

i do it too. i am currently still looking for all my notes (we did it term 4 last year so stupid me lost my folder)... but i have some revision notes and remember a fair bit of stuff that i could jot down off the top of my head.
its a pretty good text, easy to work with.
i think one of the main things with this text is that in regards to changing self .. the biggest thing was Sally's willingness to begin the journey leading to change. which you can compare to the syllabus booklet poem "The Door" ...
sorry if that doesn't make ALOT of sense, i'm in the middle of doing my PDHPE notes :X
and jaNetix ... in regards to techniques, why not just start with the form she uses to tell her story, autobiography.. what techniques does this allow her to use (linguistically- bias, 1st person... story telling) and also the fact that there are several different perspectives.. like nan's story etc.. you can pretty much turn that all around to support the concept of changing self.

Amber

It is utter crap!

I am doing it too, and i absolutely HATE IT!!!!!! it is the worst! If u guys find any notes or quotes, could u please forward them to me ambaths@yahoo.com, it would really be appreciated!

silbi

relationship to "the door"

general themes :: risk taking, questioning, personal opportunism...

Sally persistently asks questions about her background till she finds answers..........

tempco

HSC
Yep... and how she made a conscious decision to discover her identity. That relates to opening the door.. it required effort on her part.

I usually bring in the Aboriginal Scholarship when mentioning "The Door".. the common idea is being proactive.. opening the door as well as standing up for herself and her identity.. some where along those lines.. >_<

Mwah

Yeah I do MY PLACE,
its ok but tedious to read. I found some BOS notes to the responses on the My place question, just things you should & shouldn't do...

Sally Morgan-
Responses referring to my place often relied on content driven discussions, rather than on the concepts and techniques used to represent changing self. The better responses addressed the broad literary techniques in the text and their role in the representation of change. The included discussion of:
o First person narrative
o Chronological sequence of the narrative
o Stories within stories- ie inclusion od Daisy, Arthur & Gladys' biographies
o The use of anecdotes and humour to describe characters and situations
o Personal reminiscences
o Direct speech
o Reported speech
o The use of Australian colloquialisms-slang
o The use of contrasts-before & after the death of Sally's father ie financial situation and family relationships
o Imagery
o Symbolism-eg the bird and the swamp
o The reflective tone

tempco

HSC
Oooh.. That's a nice list you got there.. just what I needed. Thanks :)

HannieStar

Has anyone tried to do the 2001 HSC question with relation to changing self. It is about the consequences of change which seems easy enough but I am not sure what to say about My Place- so i have enough to say
Maybe my brain has disappeared because I haven't had trouble with other questions- just this one....

@nimal

Hey, i thought that MY place was the best of all my texts this year, with the Psycho Sylvia Plath and Julius Caesar to choose from, i found it the best.

It really relates to Sky high from the stimulus booklet and believe it or not, one of my other texts is eminem's movie 8 mile!
so it has relevance and i have heaps of notes on it

ezzy85

hmm...yeah.....
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by @nimal
Hey, i thought that MY place was the best of all my texts this year, with the Psycho Sylvia Plath and Julius Caesar to choose from, i found it the best.
shit, they really musta been crap if my place is the best.

Blondie

i haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaate my place. its crappy shitty crap covered in poo.... and thats all i have to say about that. Anywayz, i hate sky high, too, so im doing the door now.... and im doing save the last dance as my related, with some weird mini series as well.... geez, thats bloody 5 texts for this one thing, not to mention the other 2 questions we still have to write bout.
anyone having trouble writing enough in 40 minutes........ or am i the only dumbass??

Unstable Duck

My Place = BAD HARD YAKKA!

I am struggling to find any REAL information on this text. it was so boring and as far as i am concerned no different to what happened in my life the last year. its just a :eek: story. the change is just normal stuff like the clock turned one. or it was now time to go to high school. woopdidoo! there are no standards package responses to look at and i have no hope of contructing an answer in 40 minutes to achieve anything.

i am hereby congratulating my school and the board of studies on such an excellent choice in texts. :chainsaw:

Quack!

Unstable Duck

Oh yeah, does anyone have any good ideas for the extra text of my own choosing. i can't think of one and am now stressing. what on earth do i use and how does it represent changing self?

-----------

i am so screwed :)

HannieStar

use:
-breakfast at tiffany's (the movie)
-times they are a changing- by bob dylan- deals with resistance to change, generational change
-Sky High or The Door- they are quick to learn

jaNetix

how many related form our own choosing??
i only have time 2 write abt one!

i do 'american history x'
and if i have time lyrics joe- changed man

and 'the door', or maybe national pic/ conciliation

chriswong

My teacher has been saying we need our core text, my place, one from the BoS stim. booklet, and at least 2 others....however, me may find that we are lucky in the hsc question, coz they may only ask for one...

2late

Yeah but it's btter to know at least 2 other texts really well instead of only relying on 1 text

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)