• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Chem (2 Viewers)

Luukas.2

HSC
View attachment 39873
shouldnt it be both 1 sf bc the ph is to 1dp @carrotsss
no trial paper follows these rules and each trial paper makes up their own mf rules when it comes to ph i wanna die
Technically, yes. Exams are often written sloppily.

In the "official" answer that you posted, for example, I have no idea:
  • what log-5.1 means
  • how whatever it is equals pH
  • why, since they are finding a concentration, the answer has no units.
Further, (b) should be (taking the weak acid as HA and assuming it is monoprotic):

and, given the precision we have, a better answer would be pKa is 9.2 or Ka = 10-9.2

Luukas.2

HSC
View attachment 39878
when we draw structural formula tho we put a negative on top of O and positive on top of Na but here we dont need to?
I wouldn't include charges in writing a formula, just like I wouldn't write sodium hydroxide as Na+OH- rather than NaOH.

I would give charges if I was howing a structure where I was noting the ionic rather than covalent bonding... and I would never put something like

CH3(CH2)12-C(=O)-O-Na​

as it implies the existence of covalent bonding between the O and the Na, and this is untrue.

I would say that any of
  • CH3(CH2)12COONa
  • CH3(CH2)12CO2Na
  • CH3(CH2)12COO- Na+
  • CH3(CH2)12CO2- Na+
and any similar answers should be accepted for a question like this.

synthesisFR

HSC
I wouldn't include charges in writing a formula, just like I wouldn't write sodium hydroxide as Na+OH- rather than NaOH.

I would give charges if I was howing a structure where I was noting the ionic rather than covalent bonding... and I would never put something like

CH3(CH2)12-C(=O)-O-Na​

as it implies the existence of covalent bonding between the O and the Na, and this is untrue.

I would say that any of
  • CH3(CH2)12COONa
  • CH3(CH2)12CO2Na
  • CH3(CH2)12COO- Na+
  • CH3(CH2)12CO2- Na+
and any similar answers should be accepted for a question like this.
Yeah bc when u write in condensed structural formula u put the charges in to indicate those specific bonds r ionic withing the compound so just needed to know whether that extends to condensed formula.

Btw thank u for all ur responses, r u in y12?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)