• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

chemical engineering (1 Viewer)

mel194

HSC
Hey every one I was considering chemical and bimolecular engineering at usyd firstly the assumed says chem and ext 1, however would I still need to do a physics bridging course and also I dropped ext math half way through year 12 would I still struggle in this course and would applying to a bridging course help? Im really worried as I don't want to fail my first year
PS: I have done chem HSC so that's not a worry

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Hey every one I was considering chemical and bimolecular engineering at usyd firstly the assumed says chem and ext 1, however would I still need to do a physics bridging course and also I dropped ext math half way through year 12 would I still struggle in this course and would applying to a bridging course help? Im really worried as I don't want to fail my first year
PS: I have done chem HSC so that's not a worry
you don't need to do a physics bridging course
You probably will have to try and do the rest of the ext 1 course because the regular maths units (needed for engineering) assume ext 1 is known.

mel194

HSC
I don't mean to ask stupid questions but lets say I did the bridging course would I be okay, I am planning to study at uni and not bludge

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Pretty much the units you'll do in first year are:

ENGG1800 - Engineering Disciplines - They teach you about different streams and you do projects and stuff. You only really need some maths knowledge for this (maybe ext 1)

ENGG1801 - Engineering Computing - This is computation using MATLAB. You'll need basic maths knowledge and that's it.

ENGG1803 - Professional Engineering 1 - You don't really need anything but basic maths knowledge for this.

CHEM1001 - Chemistry 1A - You'll need HSC Chem and that's it.

CHEM1002 - Chemistry 1B - You'll need HSC Chem and CHEM1001 and that's it.

CHNG1103 - Material and Energy Transformations Introduction - You'll just need to know basic maths and CHEM1001 for this.

MATH1001 - Differential Calculus - You'll need to know Mathematics Extension One

MATH1002 - Linear Algebra - You'll need to know Mathematics Extension One

MATH1003 - Integral Calculus and Modelling - You'll need to know Mathematics Extension One

MATH1005 - Statistics - You'll need to know Mathematics Extension One (not really, since there's barely any statistics in extension one)

It's all here: http://cusp.sydney.edu.au/students/view-degree-page/degree_id/3

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
I don't mean to ask stupid questions but lets say I did the bridging course would I be okay, I am planning to study at uni and not bludge
Physics bridging course won't help because you won't do a physics Unit of Study (UoS) during your course.

I would suggest just using a textbook to finish learning extension one maths during the last bit of these holidays.
If you don't mind me asking, how did you go in mathematics?

engineering

HSC
N/A
You should do the maths bridging course, but even that does not guarantee success (2 weeks intensive course does not make up for not doing 2 years of 3U maths), but it is a good start. You must be right on the ball in Maths from Day 1 of uni.

mel194

HSC
I got 86 in adv math I bombed out in externals but I want an honest opinion if it really is guna be that bad I dnt wnt to force myself into it so please tell me clear cut not to do it

mel194

HSC
And also when u say basic math is that like 2 unit? im sorry I just wnna know what I might be getting myself into btw is the second year engineering just add into first year and new stuff?

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
I got 86 in adv math I bombed out in externals but I want an honest opinion if it really is guna be that bad I dnt wnt to force myself into it so please tell me clear cut not to do it
86 is fine.

If you got below 80 I would suggest against it.

Also you can go to the enrolment day and ask the advisors there what you should do. (because I'm not sure if you can do the fundamental courses for engineering)

And also when u say basic math is that like 2 unit? im sorry I just wnna know what I might be getting myself into btw is the second year engineering just add into first year and new stuff?
By basic maths I mean mathematics (2U), but not hard 2U.

Yeah, second year would just be an add-on of first year.
And I'm pretty sure the maths isn't too relevant to first year maths, it's more what you learn in the engineering first year subjects.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)