Chemistry Assessment (1 Viewer)

LC14199

HSC
Ok now this one is kinda nuts. I have to make a 7-10 minute video on the following dotpoint from the chemistry syllabus:

"Analyse information to compare the cost and energy expenditure involved in the extraction of aluminium from its ore and the recycling of aluminium"

Other previous chemistry assessments I've seen on here are not dedicated to one single dot point, and quite frankly I don't know how I'm going to babble on about aluminium for 7 minutes minimum. Anyone got any bright ideas?

I'm planning on talking about the resources used to produce it, the side effects on the environment of mining bauxite, the cost of rehabilitating the land that the bauxite was mined from, and compare that to recycling aluminium which takes 5% of the energy, is much faster, and is much easier on the environment. With an added bonus that aluminium is a valuable metal which when recycled injects money into the economy.

Can anyone else think of anything that I could use that I don't already have listed? I don't think just those will last me 7 minutes.

Also, the teacher wants my research findings presented in the form of an appendix, how would I go about doing this?

Thanks,
LC14199

Crisium

Pew Pew
HSC
Try to make it an engaging video as well

Since it's year 11 I don't think that you have to be fullsrs so try to get some people to act in it to show the processes involved, such as with the extraction of aluminium get someone to be wrapped in aluminium foil to be somehow extracted from a rock via smelting (This will add a sort of comedic element to it - whilst at the same time you're conveying the information in a fun way), and if you mention statistics based on either of the processes make it into a news presentation where you're like "Breaking news just in, it seems like aluminium is now being recycled through a *name machine or whatever* due to a 5.79% increase in *name pollutant in the atmosphere*.

In this way you can use up the time and will engage both your teacher and classmates; I guess it would also be original~ish

If you're willing to put in the effort I reckon you can make this a presentation that can get you marks, assuming that it is marked partially based on presentation, originality, etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)