Choosing a language? (1 Viewer)

JCeta

HSC
Hi, I'm trying to decide which language I should go for if I choose to do IB (International Baccalaureate). Right now I'm heavily considering doing Chinese but I only know the basics and think it might be a struggle to do as I'm not the best with languages. If I do choose to do Chinese, are there any good places I could go to or resources I could use to help make it easier to get to the level I need to be at?

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Given the fact that you are only familiar with the basics and think that you may struggle, perhaps you should consider taking Mandarin ab initio? Essentially, an ab initio course is a language acquisition course for students with no prior experience of the target language, or for students with very limited previous experience (the latter seemingly being the condition that applies to you). If you end up choosing to pursue Chinese, a good start would involve accessing the Notes & Resources section, precisely the following Chinese in Context resource:

Despite this being a resource that targets an HSC subject, the content itself may be useful in terms of supporting your IB journey.

Additionally, I suggest having a look at the Tutoring Classifieds forum, where you may find individuals that offer Chinese tutoring and resources that suit your needs, using the link below:

Alternatively, should you choose to study another language subject that would suit your level of linguistic skills, you may wish to consider taking one of the subjects targeting easier European languages, such as Spanish, i.e. Spanish ab initio.

I hope this helps! 😄

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)