civil/electrical engineering? (1 Viewer)

Schniz

HSC
someone told me the first year or engineering is like 4u maths... is that true or?...
what kind of studies does the engineering course include... i am thinking of doing civil or electrical (power)... not sure if i will like it though but cant think of anything i would rather do... any insight would be muchly appreciated.
thanks.

darkliight

I ponder, weak and weary
HSC
N/A
Check out Civil Engineering and Electrical Engineering. They both list the maths subjects you need to do (including a couple of first year subjects).

Only 3 maths subjects for civil, or 4 for electrical, ie:
MATH1110 - Civil and Electrical
MATH1120 - Civil and Electrical
MATH2310 - Civil and Electrical
MATH2420 - Electrical only.

You'll see a few 4 unit topics in MATH1110, but there's alot of 2 unit revision too and a few things you don't see in school. It's not too hard to pass if you work on it a bit each week.

When I did it, there were quizzes each week (your best 8 of 11 count for 20%), 1 mid-semester (another 20%) and a final exam (60%). They're all multiple choice questions which makes life pretty easy - but you have to show working or you get 0 regardless of what answer you pick. Also, if you do well in just the final exam, it can count for 100% of your mark.

I think Clive here does an engineering course and maths, so he's probably your best bet for info.

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
Schniz said:
someone told me the first year or engineering is like 4u maths... is that true or?...
what kind of studies does the engineering course include... i am thinking of doing civil or electrical (power)... not sure if i will like it though but cant think of anything i would rather do... any insight would be muchly appreciated.
thanks.
In first year you can choose to do math1210 and 1220, which have assumed knoweldge 4 unit maths, or math1110 and 1120 which have only 2 unit as assumed knowledge. I'm doing the latter and it's not that hard, I found 3 unit harder last year.

http://ccdb.newcastle.edu.au/courseinfo/displayprogram.cfm?docid=79&FOS=6&UGPG=13

http://ccdb.newcastle.edu.au/courseinfo/displayprogram.cfm?docid=78&FOS=6&UGPG=13

Those are the best 2 links to read through to find out what you'd be studying and if it appeals to you. Apparently electrical is a good choice if you love the maths. I really don't think difficulty-of-maths is the most important factor in choosing.

clive

evilc
HSC
N/A
MATH1110 - Civil and Electrical - easier
MATH1120 - Civil and Electrical - easiest
MATH2310 - Civil and Electrical - easy
MATH2420 - Electrical only - easyish

I'm doing civil eng/maths. In the first couple of years i thought that the engineering subjects were tonnes harder than the maths ones. In other words, i agree with what Captain Gh3y said

math1110 and 1120 which have only 2 unit as assumed knowledge. I'm doing the latter and it's not that hard, I found 3 unit harder last year.
here were my impressions of first year engineering (some of the subjects have changed a bit since i did them, but it is still virtually the same)

GENG1001 - Introductory Mechanics: If you didn't do engineering studies in High school this could be a bit difficult, i din't do engineering studies and still managed to get the hang of it eventually
MATH1110 - Mathematics 111 - see my comment before
PHYS1210 - Advanced Physics 1 - pretty good, not too bad. eight 3 hour labs are annoying though
SURV1110 - Surveying 1 - fairly easy, boring, eight or so 3 hour pracs are boring, but you get to be outside i guess.
GENG1002 - Introduction to Engineering Computations - ok, they have changed it a fair bit from when i did it, more visual basic now, less fortran
GENG1803 - Introduction to Engineering Practice - hippy shit (so i have been told)
MATH1120 - Mathematics 112 - see my comment before
SURV1120 - Surveying 2 - better than surveying 1, not too hard, a lot more interesting with better pracs.

Last edited:

mrbassman

0.38 posts per day...meh
HSC
I guess i will cover the electrical since computer and electrical have the same 1st year (ish)

ELEC1700
Computer Engineering 1: Interesting course, can be difficult if you dont apply yourself. You design simple logic circuits like a vending machine or traffic lights. Good start to get you into the engineering design process.

SENG1110
Intro to Software Engineering 1: Cakewalk. If you use common sense and attend all lectures and labs you will be fine. Demonstrators are willing to help with programming assignments and there is plenty of help on the www. There is also a help desk run by older students.

MATH1110
Mathematics 111
As per clive.

PHYS1210
Advanced Physics 1
I enjoyed physics. Labs were tedious but necessary. You benefit greatly as they increase you problem solving and instruction following skills. Doesnt hurt your math either.

ELEC1300
Electrical Engineering 1
Here is the kicker. This subject historically has the highest failure rate in the faculty. Damn Hard!! However if you work hard, read the text, do tute and assignment questions and prepare well for labs you will pass. Doesnt hurt to visit Fred early.

MATH1120
Mathematics 112
As per clive again.

PHYS1220
Advanced Physics 2
Pretty much the same as Physics 1 with a few more advanced topics more leading to magnetic and electrical theory.

GENG1803
Introduction to Engineering Practice
They recently changed this subject and from what I hear it is still ok. When I did it there was a few sections; project management, tech drawing, teamwork, eithics, communication all the basics. There was a major group project where you had to come up with a design and proposal for some development and do a presentation. I dont know whether they still do that. Some of the guest lecturers were interesting a guy from cochlear and a hot canadian chick (i have no idea what she spoke about surprisingly)

As for the 1110/1120 maths? Do the easy one :) Why do more work than you have to. If you are any sort of engineer you wont need the higher maths as its covered in 2310 and 2420. You learn most of the math you need in actual engineering subjects and for electrical thats mostly DE's and Laplace :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)