Class of 2021, do you have any comeback moments during your HSC year? (1 Viewer)

zbolland

HSC
Need inspiration!
Hey man, sorry for the late response.

I went to a school ranked around 180-190 and ended up with a 99.80 ATAR. I struggled big-time with Mathematics Advanced, averaging 70% in both exams in Y11, 10% below average, (these exams were at a public school and were not difficult) and ended up achieving 94 as my HSC Mark, as well as Rank 1, due to sheer determination and commitment to the subject. Not to mention, I managed to recover my Modern History rank on four separate occasions, moving from 10th to 3rd to 2nd to 1st after tanking the first assessment (5% below average mark).

As dumb as it sounds, you can genuinely do anything you put your mind to. I was determined to get a 90 ATAR before Year 12 began due to my poor performance in Year 11 but as the year went on, as I studied and got on the grind each night, it amounted to a goal of 99.95 by the end of the year. My ranks were pretty tragic in Year 11 (i.e. top 25% at a public school equates to bottom 5% at top selective school). Whilst I didn't achieve my final ATAR goal, achieving my ATAR at a middle-low ranked school is pretty solid and is due to consistency and not giving up too early on. There is always room for improvement, even if you achieve 100% in an assessment task. There is always a second opportunity to showcase your knowledge. One assessment or exam is certainly not the be-all and end-all.

The HSC is surprisingly psychological. Adopt a strong mentality early on (growth mindset) and you will soar throughout the year. Don't compare yourself to others, just focus on yourself and continue working hard and it'll pay off in the end. I always compared myself to my friends from selective schools throughout Year 12 but ended up beating all of them ATAR-wise, so it's kinda funny how that worked out.

satvik_1008

HSC
Need inspiration!
essentially was giving up hope coming up to the hsc, after finishing hsc exams lost all hope of getting into my dream course. I felt like I fucked all my exams so badly.

than jan 20th rolls in, I get my HSC results and im met with a shock. I made my course.

satvik_1008

HSC
i dont wanna make this an english rant thread bc we all know how that goes but yes istfg that english only exists so english teachers dont end up unemployed and homeless
dw can relate. try your best and overcompensate with other subjects. trust me in uni it doesn't matter if English was ur worst subject, literally dont need to be good at English to do any degree except for a literal arts degree to do well. I am doing law myself and even though I didn't band 6 English im coping fine.

vishnay

God
HSC
dw can relate. try your best and overcompensate with other subjects. trust me in uni it doesn't matter if English was ur worst subject, literally dont need to be good at English to do any degree except for a literal arts degree to do well. I am doing law myself and even though I didn't band 6 English im coping fine.
i graduated in 2021🤣

dannyo1

HSC
Went from 84 internal mark in drama to 95 external, averaging out to a cripsy band 6. Fully thought I was gonna get an ATAR in the low 70s and take my macquarie or ANU early entry, suffice to say that didn't happen. It ain't over till the fat lady sings guys - just keep trying in spite of how shitty you may be feeling.

FesuY

HSC
Went from 84 internal mark in drama to 95 external, averaging out to a cripsy band 6. Fully thought I was gonna get an ATAR in the low 70s and take my macquarie or ANU early entry, suffice to say that didn't happen. It ain't over till the fat lady sings guys - just keep trying in spite of how shitty you may be feeling.
what atar did you end up getting?

Valvesound

HSC
Need inspiration!
I was ranked dead middle of my cohort in prelim Economics (27/54) and my teacher sometimes took the piss on me because of it. I was determined to prove him wrong, and in HSC eco I sweated hard, full marking every essay and ended up ranking 1st in my school, which turned out to be a 95 internal mark :D Anything is possible!!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)