Class size question (1 Viewer)

HSC
Our schools 4U maths class started of with 5 people. A few weeks into conics the class size dropped to 2 (?). We then had an assessment task, which I came second in by 1 mark. Once graphs started, the girl who was with me in that class ended up dropping (??), and so I was left alone. So, do my assessment marks actually matter now? Or is it only the actual 4U HSC exam which will determine my overall mark?

Thanks in advance.

muzeikchun852

HSC
So, do my assessment marks actually matter now? Or is it only the actual 4U HSC exam which will determine my overall mark?
theorically, no, ur assessment marks wont matter anymore, but just make sure u wont get any n-award.

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad
Our schools 4U maths class started of with 5 people. A few weeks into conics the class size dropped to 2 (?). We then had an assessment task, which I came second in by 1 mark. Once graphs started, the girl who was with me in that class ended up dropping (??), and so I was left alone. So, do my assessment marks actually matter now? Or is it only the actual 4U HSC exam which will determine my overall mark?

Thanks in advance.
Look on the bright side - the assessment tasks would make great practice! =]

determine

Premium Member
HSC
I think to an extent your assessment marks will matter because they will somewhat reflect your ability in the subject. This means that if you get a terrible internal raw school mark due to you slacking off/procrastinating, you run the risk that in the actual HSC exam, this will come to bite you on the bum and result in a poor assessment/exam/hsc mark (since you will ultimately get the same mark for all 3 components since you're the only student from your school doing the subject).

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
correct me if i'm wrong but doesn't 50% of the internal mark account for your HSC mark, other 50% is the HSC exam. (excluding VET subjects, which is 100% HSC exam).

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
correct me if i'm wrong but doesn't 50% of the internal mark account for your HSC mark, other 50% is the HSC exam. (excluding VET subjects, which is 100% HSC exam).
Yes - but the school's marks are moderated to the exam marks and as this student is the only one in the class their exam mark will also be their moderated assessment mark so their exam mark will be their final mark.

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
Yes - but the school's marks are moderated to the exam marks and as this student is the only one in the class their exam mark will also be their moderated assessment mark so their exam mark will be their final mark.
what do you mean by moderated? does BOS align the internal mark with the external mark and finds the best fit mark or something :/

muzeikchun852

HSC
what do you mean by moderated? does BOS align the internal mark with the external mark and finds the best fit mark or something :/
BOS will look at the gaps between marks in the internal to moderate ur internal mark. they will get the highest mark and the lowest mark that the student obtain in external and give it to the highest and lowerest mark in internal. then others' internal mark will be given according to their ranks and gaps between marks. [ hope thats make sense ]

if there is only one person in the class, there isnt any need to try in the internal, because u automatically get the mark in the external for ur internal.

Last edited:

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
You still need to try, it gives you an indication of how your performing in the course. Bludge around, don't study and come the HSC - you might be screwed.

HSC
Well there was NO WAY I would neglect this subject - seeing as it is probably my favorite. My only worry was the lack of competition leading to a really laid-back attitude. But I'm confident that won't be the case.

Thanks for all the responses. :)

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad
Well there was NO WAY I would neglect this subject - seeing as it is probably my favorite. My only worry was the lack of competition leading to a really laid-back attitude. But I'm confident that won't be the case.

Thanks for all the responses. :)
You've got exactly the correct attitude - all the best! =)

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A

Moderation and aligning are two different things.

Moderation is the process of adjusting the marks the school sends in to the parameters set by the school in the exam. Generally speaking the top ranked exam mark from a school will become the top ranked assessment mark and the bottom ranked exam mark will become the bottom ranked assessment mark. The total number of marks earned on the exam by the school will also be the same as the total number of assessment marks (give or take a mark). This is the only fair way to ensure that schools don't artificially inflate the marks and assume that they remain high. Once the top and bottom are determined and the total the marks are awarded based on the ranks and the gaps. One furphy I see here a lot is that the second exam mark becomes the second assessment mark and that is NOT necessarily the case (although it can happen but only because the total, ranks and gaps make it happen).

Aligning is the process by which the BOS adjusts the raw exam marks into the bands. This is done by a panel of judges using the performancen descriptor bands, the exams and the marking guidelines. This is where raw marks of 50 are aligned up to a mark of 80 in some subjects.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)