Clincial Science--->Medicine Pathway (1 Viewer)

sydneyphoenix

HSC
N/A
I came across this rather interesting section in description of Bachelor of Clinical Science degree at Charles Sturt University.

Additional information: A total of 10 places in medicine and 10 places in dentistry have been set aside for the top graduates of this degree who meet the facilitated rural entry requirements for medicine or dentistry at the University of Sydney. There is potential for articulation into other allied health degrees. For more information call 1800 334 733.

The cut-off for clinical science is comparatively low, 70 in 2008 and 80 in 2007. And last time I checked, there were only about a dozen or so people in the course in 2007. Looks like quite an attractive path for those of rural background who wants to pursue medical career, surprised that not many people seem interested in taking up this pathway, given CSU is authorised by the government to have up to 50 CSP places for clinical science degree.

loser101

HSC
check the fine print of the course.

Must Finish the Degree takes 3 years.

Have to have a competitive GPA

Have to sit GAMSAT and get a good grade.

Have to live in a rural area for you to qualify for those 10 places.

So how is this any different to any other Science related degree?

Anyway, yes they have set aside 10 places, but it doesnt mean they HAVE to give those 10 places away, if your GPA/Gamsat is not high enough, they wont let you in even if you are by default in the top10.

I think they have some sort of allowances in that you require a bit lower GPA/Gamsat, but not a huge amount.

Cliff Notes

Even if you are in the top10, you are NOT gauranteed a Medicine place, most students realise this thus reflected in the relatively low UAI and lack of number. probably was as low as 65 given the rural "bonus" scheme

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)