clutching at straws... (1 Viewer)

Weisy

the evenstar
HSC
It is perhaps too much to hope for...but does anyone on this forum do latin at uni?

ok...know of anyone who does latin at uni?

know of anyone, dead or alive who ever did latin at uni?

:D

as somebody who is contemplating it, I would be grateful to hear your experiences

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
I have a friend who did first-year Latin at Macquarie University last semester. He failed it. :p

His name is Matt, and his email address is dresterman@hotmail.com - tell him I gave it to you.

Milly

Wedge,
I was talking to Bu Brown yesterday, she did Latin at uni and she said that she liked the subject, but she said the way they taught it was a bit conservative... dunno exactly what that means but she said that it'll be weird for us because Mr M is anything but conservative!! :p Oh well, maybe stuff has changed in the last *muffled noise*-six years, but maybe not, considering Lindseeeeeeh is still at Sydney Uni and all...

Weisy

the evenstar
HSC
thanks Laz
:lol: Mil

wow - go the brand new smilies!!!

I wouldn't mind Latin being conservative for once, especially considering Mr M has scarred us for life with the Mountin' Men and Russian bear jokes...

I wouldn't mind just :read: ing for a change - it is the language itself i love.

although, come to think of it, a few toga parties might never go astray...

:jaw: wedge

Milly

True true... it would be nice to read Aeneid 4 without thinking of Dido as a paedophile :rolleyes:

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Milly
True true... it would be nice to read Aeneid 4 without thinking of Dido as a paedophile :rolleyes:
huh??? how? wot?

Weisy

the evenstar
HSC
lol...I'd hardly call Mr M a certain type...I think he's quite unique!

Mil - I apologise for not being there today; I had a revelation and thought I might be able to get more done at home. But I'll be there on on Friday, or as we so often get it, "the day of the Fri".

Wei

Milly

Originally posted by Weisy
lol...I'd hardly call Mr M a certain type...I think he's quite unique!

Mil - I apologise for not being there today; I had a revelation and thought I might be able to get more done at home. But I'll be there on on Friday, or as we so often get it, "the day of the Fri".

Wei
'Sok Wedge :p dunno if I'm coming on Friday, I'll see how it goes. Mr M said to email him if I was coming. We were quite productive today (for once)

The Panda

hi, i do latin, and i cant wait till its over.... oh and to that dude who asked about latin @uni... i know a guy and he said that doing prose composition of newspapers kills u...

anyway... just wondering how u guys are doin for these latin exams? wat school are u?

Milly

Originally posted by The Panda
hi, i do latin, and i cant wait till its over.... oh and to that dude who asked about latin @uni... i know a guy and he said that doing prose composition of newspapers kills u...

anyway... just wondering how u guys are doin for these latin exams? wat school are u?
Weisy and I go to MLC... what about you?

Latin is not evil! Okay, learning the English translation is boring, and Cicero is an arrogant and self-repetitive prat sometimes, but it's good otherwise!! Why do you do it if you hate it so much?

Weisy

the evenstar
HSC
Nice to meet you. Milly and I have been doing Latin since year 8, and it is impossible to diss it in front of us because we are the only two people out of an original class of close to thirty who actually survived the subject until year 12.

Latin has been the bludgiest and the best fun this year (although I do agree with Milly, Ciceronean repetition makes me want to hang myself sometimes). I don't know how I'll do for the exams, although I'm definitely not counting on me personally to top the state *looks at Milly*. :D

What school do you go to?

The Panda

i'm at cranbrook in sydney
i should be studying cicero right now .... but..... i'm not hehehhe
i've been doing it since yr 7, and theres only 2 weeks to go until latin is over forever!!! woohoo

The Panda

i do latin coz i enjoy it... however when the time comes to learn translations, i hide coz its just so boring and irritating and hard to do...
once i know the texts its fine... but when i dont i hate it, and right now i dont know them... and need to... very fast!

Weisy

the evenstar
HSC
Yes, I know that tedious feeling...I've been experiencing it all afternoon.

Trust me to pick studying Latin over Extension English, even though the exam is tomorrow.

How do you study your sections for context? Do you summarise sections in your own words, or do past papers? I do a bit of both, although that's only because I'm sick and tired of learning my translation.

I'm also shocking at unseens.:(

Which part of the prescribed text do you like best?

Milly

Originally posted by The Panda
however when the time comes to learn translations, i hide coz its just so boring and irritating and hard to do...
Yes, Latin becomes considerably less appealing when there are 800 lines of translation to learn... :p

laney

HSC
hello, i'm another latin scholar!!

latin RULES!! i don't care what people say, it does!

i've been doing it since year 7 at abbotsleigh.

as for the exams coming up. i'm so screwed. i'm kinda leaving all the study for the weekend.
and for 3U study, i'm leaving that one day...uh oh...

eeep, you do trial papers? i just read the texts....oh shite, now i think of it, we have to read the other 3 books of catiline. i forgot about that.

meanwhile, good luck studying all three of you *grins*

Milly

Hurrah, more Latin scholars!! Weisy, it's official, we're not alone. ('Bout time you two showed yourselves, we were beginning to think we were the only two doing Latin in the state!) Good to know that there are other people out there who, when you say you do Latin, don't look bewildered and say "Uh... why?"

Have fun reading the other three Catiline speeches Laney :p they absolutely bored the pants off me. I had to read them little by little, two paragraphs a day so I wouldn't fall asleep.

Weisy

the evenstar
HSC
yay yay! (rejoices)

actually, I didn't mind reading the other three Ciceronean speeches at all. Maybe I'm bonkers.

Laney, is 3unit a lot harder than 2 unit? I'm having trouble enough with my 400 lines of Vergil.

:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)