Comm law? (1 Viewer)

hellohowslife

HSC
So I want to try and do a double degree bachelor of law/bachelor of commerce at USYD or UNSW and am wondering what my ATAR goal should be. Also, if I do not reach that atar, are there any alternative degrees that are similar?

Kangaaroo

HSC
N/A
The cutoff at Sydney is 99.5.

For UNSW it's 96.00 but you need to pass the LAT (Law Admissions Test) to get in.

Alternatively, UTS offers a bachelor of business/bachelor of law degree with cutoff 96.10, and you don't need to pass an admissions test to get in. I'm sure there are other smaller universities that also offer similar programs with lower cutoffs.

quickoats

HSC
Please note that these cut-offs are usually not concrete, as law tends to be a good money-maker for the universities, since it is a cheap degree to administer relative to the fees paid for it (contrary to highly practical degrees with labs etc. which actually make a loss on CSP students).

Under the E12 scheme, USyd's cutoff is 95 (I don't think they go much lower than that), so apply if you're eligible (and make sure it is you first preference when required).

UNSW tends to be a bit sketchy with their law cutoffs (iirc pre-LAT, most of their admissions were way below the advertised 99.7 cut-off) but now with the LAT, a 90+ ATAR is sufficient provided you've done decent in the LAT.

UTS, Macquarie, WSU, and UoW are very generous with bonus points and even if you're 5-10 away from the cutoff, you're quite likely to get an offer. Note that MQ has an unconditional early offer scheme where you get an offer before the HSC, and only requires you to "complete your HSC exams" - they are quite liberal in handing out these offers too. UoW also has a similar scheme, and they have campuses in Sydney.

Just aim high and do the best you can, and don't be intimidated by the high cutoffs as there are always other ways in.

hellohowslife

HSC
Please note that these cut-offs are usually not concrete, as law tends to be a good money-maker for the universities, since it is a cheap degree to administer relative to the fees paid for it (contrary to highly practical degrees with labs etc. which actually make a loss on CSP students).

Under the E12 scheme, USyd's cutoff is 95 (I don't think they go much lower than that), so apply if you're eligible (and make sure it is you first preference when required).

UNSW tends to be a bit sketchy with their law cutoffs (iirc pre-LAT, most of their admissions were way below the advertised 99.7 cut-off) but now with the LAT, a 90+ ATAR is sufficient provided you've done decent in the LAT.

UTS, Macquarie, WSU, and UoW are very generous with bonus points and even if you're 5-10 away from the cutoff, you're quite likely to get an offer. Note that MQ has an unconditional early offer scheme where you get an offer before the HSC, and only requires you to "complete your HSC exams" - they are quite liberal in handing out these offers too. UoW also has a similar scheme, and they have campuses in Sydney.

Just aim high and do the best you can, and don't be intimidated by the high cutoffs as there are always other ways in.
When and how should I apply to these early offers? And is the LAT something that you prepare for or go to tuition for? I’m in year 11 rn btw

_rakelt

HSC
Random thought but my family friend did tourism management at uts (he got an atar in his 80s) for his first year and then transferred to usyd law+com? He said it was a pre smooth process so Im guessing you could always consider transferring?

quickoats

HSC
When and how should I apply to these early offers? And is the LAT something that you prepare for or go to tuition for? I’m in year 11 rn btw
Since you’re in year 11, focus on doing the best you can in school, to set up a good foundation for year 12 studies (and have a good record for early entry etc). When you get to year 12, UAC should have the information about the various early entry programs which you can apply for when the time comes around.

As for LAT preparation, maybe check out the format and understand what it’s all about, but as far as I know, I think it’s supposed to be something “you can’t prepare for” as it tests for critical thinking and communication skills rather than legal knowledge. I’m not sure if LAT tuition even exists, but given the nature of the test, I probably wouldn’t go for it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)