comp sci unsw hard? (1 Viewer)

misssunshine

HSC
N/A
Hey guys,
i've been hearing that comp sci at unsw is extremely difficult to pass. Is this true? Is a credit or distinction very very hard to get?
Thank you!

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
No? Who told you that. If you work hard you can get HD. It's not some crazy impossible thing that only a genius can get lol.

No doubt it is hard to get a High distinction, and I mean that's the point. Great things don't ever come easy. The final questions in the exams are ridiculously challenging, but a consistently hard working person can at least get near to full marks for the rest of the exam which is good enough for a distinction and even a high distinction. If you like CS, go for it. UNSW CS is great!

If you do SDD in year 11 and 12, it can help by the way. I've found it to be really quite helpful.

misssunshine

HSC
N/A
omg thank you so much!! i've been reading on some other forums and hearing from some of my older friends. Thanks for the clarification!!

1storc

HSC
That is definitely not true. Comp Sci is a course where if you put in the work your marks will reflect. I have friends who achieved atars in their 60s and now they have credit averages in Comp Sci so it is not 'extremely difficult to pass.'

May I recommend you this event: https://www.facebook.com/events/387885188562858/?ti=as. There will be speakers from various degrees including Computer Science and you'll be able to ask whatever questions you like to them!

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
That is definitely not true. Comp Sci is a course where if you put in the work your marks will reflect. I have friends who achieved atars in their 60s and now they have credit averages in Comp Sci so it is not 'extremely difficult to pass.'

May I recommend you this event: https://www.facebook.com/events/387885188562858/?ti=as. There will be speakers from various degrees including Computer Science and you'll be able to ask whatever questions you like to them!
Did they go UNSW?
Because I would say a person with a 60ish atar probably wouldn't have the drive to get a credit average at UNSW. Maybe at other unis

sida1049

HSC
Did they go UNSW?
Because I would say a person with a 60ish atar probably wouldn't have the drive to get a credit average at UNSW. Maybe at other unis
It's possible they did a TAFE qualification before enrolling. Plenty of people find their drives after finishing high school.

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
It's possible they did a TAFE qualification before enrolling. Plenty of people find their drives after finishing high school.
Yeah I'm not ruling it out but it's extremely rare.

I've met people who have lost motivation after high school but have yet to meet someone who has had such a drastic improvement

1storc

HSC
Did they go UNSW?
Yes, UNSW. He did a bridging course for one year before starting and now he is one subject away from graduating.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)