• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Computational Science (1 Viewer)

alexialight

HSC
I'm choosing my subjects for next semester at the moment and i came across these two units- COSC 1001 Computational Science in Matlab and COSC 1002 Computational Science in C. I was just wondering if anyone who had done these units before could tell me what's involved and if it's difficult? I read the descriptions in the faculty handbooks but it didn't say very much.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
If that MATLAB's anything like what we do in engineering computing it should be pretty easy.

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
From hearing what people who have done it have said, they are giveaway subjects. I like how normal and advanced for these units arent separated, ie they do the exact same things, same class, labs etc. Advance just get given some additional work and one section of the final exam is harder for advanced. Ill be taking up COSC1902. Your best bet to see how they are like is to go to the library website and take a look at some past exams for the unit

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
why bother learning a proprietary program when u can learn C and access open source code libraries with the latest updates? ull probably pick up a bit of matlab here and there from other courses in engineering and applied mathematics.

machiavel

HSC
Has anyone done 3rd year COSC? If so, is it worth doing the 1st year subjects, or can I just learn C in the summer hols without a problem?
Damn cosc in C clashes in EVERY session....

alexialight

HSC
machiavel said:
Has anyone done 3rd year COSC? If so, is it worth doing the 1st year subjects, or can I just learn C in the summer hols without a problem?
Damn cosc in C clashes in EVERY session....
I haven't done any 3rd year cosc, but I did the first year cosc in C and from memory I walked out of it still knowing very little about C. You only really get the very basics out of it, and even then I didn't really understand it because the lecturer was a fan of "here is my code, add this line to line 50, run the program, write down what happens". I'm sure you could pick it up on your own with a C tutorial online or a text book.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)