• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Computer Engineering (1 Viewer)

proUsername

HSC
Hey, I'm interesting in doing a degree in Computer Engineering.

What are the job opportunities for this field in Australia?

How do they compare with Electrical Engineering? Which of these two fields have more demand/better job prospects/better salaries?

Thanks.

Hakz

Proud Member
HSC
N/A
Generally all engineering fields are in demand, but electrical engineering has better job opportunities + salaries. Honestly i haven't seen any computer engineering jobs in the paper

chucknthem

chuck norris
HSC
Getting a computer engineering degree doesn't mean that you have to be employed as a computer engineer designing hardware. There is enough software development and many other skills taught and many computer engineering graduates go into software software network design/management, system architecture, etc.

proUsername

HSC
chucknthem said:
Getting a computer engineering degree doesn't mean that you have to be employed as a computer engineer designing hardware. There is enough software development and many other skills taught and many computer engineering graduates go into software software network design/management, system architecture, etc.
Could a Comp Science major work in these areas? How do they compare with Electrical Engineering salaries/demand?

Thanks for replies.

goony

i am here to ride bike
HSC
If you choose the right subjects in an electrical engineering degree, you can do all the subjects that are in a computer engineering degree. In fact, there isn't much difference between the two degrees (at usyd anyway).

Electrical, Telecommunications and Computer engineering courses at usyd do exactly the same core subjects in the first two years, and Software Engineering is pretty similar too (they only changed it recently)...actually, now i think about it, first year in a comp sci degree will have the same subjects as first year engineering in those fields too

In Elec Eng first year you do maths, physics, software, computer engineering and circuits...in Computer Science you do maths, software and a few electives.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)