Computer Science (1 Viewer)

FesuY

HSC
For anyone whos taking computer science, I just have a couple of questions to ask. How difficult is the degree overall? (mainly the maths component), What do you in the class/lectures offered? and finally Do you need to have coding knowledge prior to entering the degree?

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
For anyone whos taking computer science, I just have a couple of questions to ask. How difficult is the degree overall? (mainly the maths component), What do you in the class/lectures offered? and finally Do you need to have coding knowledge prior to entering the degree?
I didn’t find the core courses difficult overall but they give tons of very difficult challenges and the end of exam questions are usually really rough for a lot of courses. Also if you do Cybersecurity there are some very very difficult courses you’ll have to do, but they’re also extremely fun. I found the math component pretty easy but I did 4u in highschool which made it a lot easier.

You do not need prior coding experience but it will help a lot. At unsw your expected to learn quite quickly and so people who didn’t have previous coding experience struggled a decent bit in the starter course.

vishnay

God
HSC
Also if you do Cybersecurity there are some very very difficult courses you’ll have to do, but they’re also extremely fun.
why'd u do cybersecurity? was it due to interest?

dasfas

HSC
It's pretty difficult. You don't need to know much maths, but you will have to do some as part of your Science degree requirements (as Computer Science is typically a major). You will need to learn discrete maths and some courses (algorithms, models of computation) can require math-like problem solving.

You don't need any prior knowledge of coding, but it wouldn't hurt

In the lectures, you get taught new concepts, you get questions assigned in the tutorials to work through and typically a big assignment where you code up something cool, such as a small game. We did pacman in our second semester of first year.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)