Confusion (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
HSC
disconinja said:
Why post a problem from #hsc on BOS?
In future, keep that crap off Site Help, it's reserved for people with problems on BOS.
I'd like to direct you to

http://community.boredofstudies.org/showthread.php?t=45484

anti said:
Is there a Bored chat room?
Yes, BOS has an official chat room located on the AustNet IRC server.

To connect to the BOS chatroom you’ll need a program called mIRC (http://www.mirc.com/). Mac users might like to try ircle (http://www.ircle.com/) or snak (http://www.snak.com/). Trillian (http://www.trillian.cc) and Mozilla (http://www.mozilla.org/) users can also access IRC after downloading the appropriate plugins.

The server you want to connect to is called au.austnet.org. The quickest way to connect is to type in the chatbox: /server au.austnet.org , then type /join #hsc to join the official BoS chatroom. Say hi to the mods who idle there
If you don't like it, have the faq changed. There's no need to abuse someone for asking a legitimate question.

X

xeuyrawp

ogmzergrush said:
I'd like to direct you to

http://community.boredofstudies.org/showthread.php?t=45484

If you don't like it, have the faq changed. There's no need to abuse someone for asking a legitimate question.
You're missing the fact that, yes whilst the IRC channel is the BOS IRC equiv, posting a "why was I banned" thread, let alone such a thread in the " Bored of Studies - Site Help" subforum, is inappropriate.

As the name explicitly implies, this subforum is for help with this site.

The person in question could have PMed a mod, emailed them, or whispered to them via IRC. Such a thread here, where all you can do is make a fuss, is pointless.

X

xeuyrawp

I'll also add that the mods and admins have no responsibility to treat the FAQ as BOS constitution.

It's just common sense that the IRC realm and the BOS website realm are different beings, and people having a cry about either should do so 1. not in the other realm, or 2. in a more appropriate place (maybe non-school, where every other asshole cries about being banned).

HSC
Should have used the official hsc chatroom help forum, right? :) If it's listed as "official", there ought to be an "official" place for querying such issues, rather than misleading users by saying it is then wtfing at them when they ask. Seeing as an official place doesn't exist, site help seems reasonable enough to me, seeing as we're a listed affiliation.

Given that the individual clearly didn't know who to contact, I still think it's reasonable, and the first sentence in Minai's reply indicates fairly clearly that he doesn't see a link between the two.

HSC
I never said anything about constitution, if people want to say one thing and do the other I'm just fine with that. I do think it's misleading though, and not really fair on the person who got told.

Edit: Of course, two different entities, but the word official being used to link them sort of suggests a connection between the two. How can you list it as being official then say "wtf, what's #hsc got to do with bos?"

Last edited:
X

xeuyrawp

ogmzergrush said:
Should have used the official hsc chatroom help forum, right? :) If it's listed as "official", there ought to be an "official" place for querying such issues, rather than misleading users by saying it is then wtfing at them when they ask. Seeing as an official place doesn't exist, site help seems reasonable enough to me, seeing as we're a listed affiliation.

Given that the individual clearly didn't know who to contact, I still think it's reasonable, and the first sentence in Minai's reply indicates fairly clearly that he doesn't see a link between the two.
Although I hate playing semantics et al, you seem to be doing it with the "Minai's reply..."

His reply;
minai said:
Why post a problem from #hsc on BOS?
expresses confusion at the fact that it was not necessary to create a thread here. There were so many other avenues available to the person, like PMing a mod, supermod, etc, or whispering to other mods in the irc channel.

X

xeuyrawp

ogmzergrush said:
I never said anything about constitution, if people want to say one thing and do the other I'm just fine with that. I do think it's misleading though, and not really fair on the person who got told.
It's a moot point in this case, and we are about practicality.

That particular person would be too stupid to bother reading through the FAQ in any case.

Common sense would dictate approaching a mod via a PM, rather than making a scene and letting everyone else see there's a problem.

HSC
PwarYuex said:
Although I hate playing semantics et al, you seem to be doing it with the "Minai's reply..."

His reply; expresses confusion at the fact that it was not necessary to create a thread here. There were so many other avenues available to the person, like PMing a mod, supermod, etc, or whispering to other mods in the irc channel.
Seems more like it expresses confusion at something from #hsc being posted on here at all to me. The individual obviously wasn't sure on who they should talk to about it, was banned from the channel (counting out the mods thing, especially if the user isn't terribly familiar with IRC). I realise the site help forum is deadset flooded with far more important issues (Where's angel of justice minai re: "I went bad in my trials, can I still get a good UAI?"), but honestly, it's not really that out of line.

X

xeuyrawp

ogmzergrush said:
Seems more like it expresses confusion at something from #hsc being posted on here at all to me. The individual obviously wasn't sure on who they should talk to about it, was banned from the channel (counting out the mods thing, especially if the user isn't terribly familiar with IRC). I realise the site help forum is deadset flooded with far more important issues (Where's angel of justice minai re: "I went bad in my trials, can I still get a good UAI?"), but honestly, it's not really that out of line.
Look, I still think they should have PMed or emailed someone, rather than creating a thread.

This person has seemed to annoy like 15 people, why should he be helped if he's constantly a jackass?

HSC
Yeah, right on chief. Call him an idiot because he posted a query which he thought was legitimate, and make assumptions about whether he had or hadn't read the faq. Most people don't tend to discover the channel by accident. Anyway, this is going nowhere.

Minai, when you finish up with the DDR and get around to closing this one too, maybe you can sort out the faq or make it plain that anyone asking for assistance here re: #hsc will be dealt a harsh blow by your iron fist of justice.

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
The person in question could not have PMed a mod. Well they could've, but it wouldn't have helped much. Considering the person in charge of #hsc is not a mod, smod or administrator (the banner in the previous case was, however, but the only moderator with any access to the channel), having a whinge in private to a moderator would've been dealt with a private "wtf, don't give us this shit" to the complainant.

An official #hsc forum does not exist, and a whisper on IRC would require a higher knowledge of IRC than most users of mIRC have (considering they start sessions by double clicking on names, and not using /msg or /notice). I think it's very reasonable to bring this matter up with the people in which the channel is affiliated to (BoS).

X

xeuyrawp

ogmzergrush said:
Yeah, right on chief. Call him an idiot because he posted a query which he thought was legitimate, and make assumptions about whether he had or hadn't read the faq. Most people don't tend to discover the channel by accident.
No, I called him an idiot because he wasn't bright enough to realise that if you constantly annoy someone who has banning powers (when they've explicitly said numerous times).

That being said, rarely will and idiot read the forum FAQs.

That being said, he probably discovered the channel via the numerous people who have it in their sigs and customs statuses.

Minai, when you finish up with the DDR and get around to closing this one too
Ah, now you're making (immature) assumptions.

, maybe you can sort out the faq or make it plain that anyone asking for assistance here re: #hsc will be dealt a harsh blow by your iron fist of justice.
Now we see what probably would have been a good idea- telling minai to change the FAQ. It was always going to result in you saying that, but I thought it would be fun to see how long you'd advocate for the idiot.

The person in question could not have PMed a mod. Well they could've, but it wouldn't have helped much. Considering the person in charge of #hsc is not a mod, smod or administrator (the banner in the previous case was, however, but the only moderator with any access to the channel), having a whinge in private to a moderator would've been dealt with a private "wtf, don't give us this shit" to the complainant.

an official #hsc forum does not exist, and a whisper on IRC would require a higher knowledge of IRC than most users of mIRC have (considering they start sessions by double clicking on names, and not using /msg or /notice). I think it's very reasonable to bring this matter up with the people in which the channel is affiliated to (BoS).
They could have PMed one of the numerous BOS site moderators that are also IRC mods.

I doubt many of them would have replied with the "don't give us this shit" response- they would have reminded him to stop being a jerk and given him some time to cool down.

Whispering really isn't difficult to figure out, and considering how basic my IRC needs and knowledge is, I can say most noobs who even just chat know about it and how to do it.

HSC
You thought you'd wait and see how long it'd take me? I know you're interested in playing clever dicks and all, but check my initial post you mongoloid fuck.

"If you don't like it, have the faq changed."

What I've said all along is given the current state of the FAQ, he didn't do anything wrong. If people insist that he is in the wrong, then the FAQ should be reflected to indicate that despite us being an official affiliate, BoS doesn't actually want anything to do with us. It's not difficult, maybe you could try reading the initial post before engaging super-debate ninja mode.

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
PwarYuex said:
They could have PMed one of the numerous BOS site moderators that are also IRC mods.
Total amount of BOS Moderators which are IRC mods... one.
Prehaps you should find out more about what you're talking about mate. :)

I doubt many of them would have replied with the "don't give us this shit" response- they would have reminded him to stop being a jerk and given him some time to cool down.
Minai is a super moderator, someone who is supposed to show the others how it's done. The example he set was "don't give us that shit." The example they can follow.

Whispering really isn't difficult to figure out, and considering how basic my IRC needs and knowledge is, I can say most noobs who even just chat know about it and how to do it.
That's a pretty funny statement. "I can do this so everyone else can." Too bad in the real world, things don't quite work that way. It's not worth arguing.

That being said, rarely will and idiot read the forum FAQs.
Nice to know that you can make unfair assumptions about people. We mightn't be able to, but you're allowed to. :)
Also, considering you have absolutely no clue what transpires in #hsc, nor do you know exactly what happened, maybe you should stop making a fool of yourself. Your "basic" knowledge of IRC should be enough to tell you that an IRC channel is not an online forum.

Last edited:

Josie

Everything's perfect!
HSC
It's really easy to tell, at a glance who "all" the BOS Moderators who are also IRC Moderators are. I can name them offhand. There's..... um...... sheesh, look at that, I don't know. Hell, I'm an idiot too!

Last edited:

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
ogmzergrush - This forum is entitled "Site Help", it's for problems experienced on browsing the forums of BOS, NOT #hsc. That channel may be officially the BOS irc channel, I don't care, but it still stands that this forum is for solving site related problems. And next time, if you have an issue with me, for god's sake PM me, don't make a dick of yourself by posting a statement directed at me in the Site Help forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)