Content Management System...? (1 Viewer)

mitochondria

*Rawr*!
HSC
I have been reading and googling about CMS for the past half an hour and still have no idea about what it is other than:

"it is a system that manages contents"

Does anyone happen to know what exactly it is and could possibly give a few examples? Thank yooooooooou!

oh btw, I found this cool little site.. check it out: http://www.404lounge.net

MedNez

:o>---<
HSC
N/A
A content management system, is a system in place on a website where you can add pages, delete pages on the fly, that is, use templates to create them et cetera. You can put timelocks on pages, version pages to stop them being overwrittenm, give them access levels, and a whole lot of other neat stuff.

Unfortunately I don't know any examples, the only one I've really read about or looked at was one that a web design company I did work experience with, had designed.

Google turned up this, however. Maybe it'll help.

Med

mitochondria

*Rawr*!
HSC
omgeez xD thank you! I hope you don't mind my newly flared questions:

1. is CMS a completely client side thing or do I actually have to install something onto my web host?

2. XHTML... *falls dead* w3.org describes it as XML + HTML so does that mean everything I do from now on will be better done in XHTML rather than HTML?

MedNez

HSC
N/A
HTML = Basic website language
XML = Language allowing you to make and define your own tags, etc
XHTML = Mix of both

I dunno if I'd say everything you do should be done in XHTML, depends on what you're working on. And a CMS you can install on your side. Nothing needs to be done by the webhost (Assuming they have PHP/MySQL/Whatever backend language you're using, installed).

Fosweb

I could be your Doctor...
HSC
You will need to install something on the server. I built my own, PHP + MySQL.
Clients adds content through application on the server, which is accessed just like a normal web page.

Examples of content management: any blogging software, Contribute, etc...

Try for better results in google: "Content Management + PHP" or "CMS + PHP"

doe

HSC
N/A
yeah content management systems ... manage content

content is simply the stuff you see when you visit a website (images, articles etc). or more broadly it is meaningful information that the system must provide.

the cms will take care of the basic operations such as insertion, modification and deletion of content, and of course retreival from the system for display.

cms are all pervasive, and not necessarily just web based for websites. when you say examples, do you mean examples of software? or examples of where they are used? (or both? :D)

mitochondria

*Rawr*!
HSC
I think I meant both xD thank you everyone...

I'm just reading this book called Web Design on a Shoestring by Carrie Bickner... I have been discovering how powerfull CSS is ^_________^ never thought it is so powerful xD

(off topic) I despise Dreamweaver..

doe

HSC
N/A
mitochondria said:
I think I meant both xD thank you everyone...

I'm just reading this book called Web Design on a Shoestring by Carrie Bickner... I have been discovering how powerfull CSS is ^_________^ never thought it is so powerful xD

(off topic) I despise Dreamweaver..
hoh dreamweaver. my first real job was as a webdeveloper. i f*ing hated dreamweaver. some clients wanted to do the design themselves (vs paying our designers) and invariably they would use dreamweaver. it generated the most retarded html ever which i then had to add a backend to, it was a monumental pain in the ass.

i dont touch web stuff now (... scarred for life, though thats another story), but if you like css check out www.csszengarden.com

MedNez

HSC
N/A
Retarded HTML ?

I can't say I've ever heard of Dreamweaver generating "retarded HTML". It only makes code on what you tell it to. Frontpage on the other hand adds it's own language that nothing else can interpret besides the office suite.

Design programs are only useful to those who can manipulate them into generating useful code.

jason120au

HSC
PHP Nuke, PHP Website etc are examples of CMS where u can add text areas and determine where these areas are to be located on the main site. You can even add HTML code to the areas allowing you to add images etc to the main site.
Those programs are free to see but you require a website with PHP, MYSQL to be able to use it.

mitochondria

*Rawr*!
HSC
I feel sorry for you [doe] x_____X hmmm... I'm just into design in general but particular interested in website design (however I'm quite noobie at it :p)..

I wholeheartely agree with you on dreamweaver generting "the most retarded html ever".. It's uber not byte-economic and is unreadable... (I gave up after my second attempt at it yesterday..)

GoLive is quite sucky too while we are at it.. you have to go to the property window to on the blanky right hand side (like photoshop) to change only the blanky text size.. I have recently moved to Photoshop and think that it's one of the best imaging softwares ever written.. but for blank's sake the way they use the Photoshop workspace in all other adobe programs just simply doesn't work..

I still find frontpage the most logical and useable while a bunch of people out there are creating junk webpages with dreamweaver which Internet traffic... beats me why..

Anyways.. enough of ranting :) Thank you sooooo much for the nice little website there :)

EDIT: don't take my ranting too personally..

Last edited:

Fosweb

I could be your Doctor...
HSC
:: Agrees with MedNez ::

The reason you don't like Dreamweaver is because you do not know how to use it.
Dreamweaver is god.

I have not encountered this 'retarded' code that you speak of.

Frontpage is the devil. If you want retarded code simply look at a frontpage site. If you want to clean up a frontpage site, and get rid of all the devilish code (the microsoft tags that get stuck where you do not need them), you use Dreamweaver, and an extension called CleanUp FrontPage...

I do agree with you on photoshop being amazing... But for web design, its more amazing when you use ImageReady with it.

mitochondria

*Rawr*!
HSC
Weeeeeeell.. I think it's just a matter of personal favourites, as I have already said don't take my ranting too personally ;) don't you think referring dreameaver to as god is too much of a.. hyperbole?

^____________^ I think I'm going to vote for notepad soon enough when I get the hang of CSS..

Speaking of which, what devilish code does front page generate? I have been using Frontpage for a few years and stopped website designing altogether last year but have never encountered any unwanted/redundant code.. xD

Continues to despise dreamweaver until further notice

Reminder: this is an open discussion..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)